[jja-announce] Jazz Awards voting and reservations

Jazzmandel@aol.com Jazzmandel@aol.com
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 09:47:58 EST

Hi, Members --

The finalists ballot for the Jazz Journalists Association's 7th annual Jazz
Awards is now posted for voting at Jazzhouse. We will accept votes until
April 30. Members ONLY may vote, and vote ONCE! There is also a gallery of
nominees for Jazz Photo of the Year, which you are asked to look at and vote
for online.

We've changed the ticket structure for the Awards event this year. Jazz Award
finalists receive two tickets to the supper party at B.B. King's on Tuesday,
June 17 (4 to 7 p.m) for free, and may buy up to five more for $20. JJA
members may buy up to 5 tickets for $20. Tickets for the general public and
industry supporters cost $75. Tickets purchase entry to the event, a 5 course
supper, two drinks, and a party favors bag.

This event is a benefit for the Jazz Foundation of America's Musicians
Emergency Fund, so the bucks go to an important cause, besides helping the
JJA defray expenses (we are still searching for major sponsorship for this
event -- any ideas? Contact Suzan Jenkins, muzikmusette@aol.com -- and
selling ad space in the program book -- for that, contact
jpetrucelli1@hotmail.com). We are currently working on obtaining the JJA its
long-sought not-for-profit status, and if we can get that before the event,
your tickets and/or ad purchases may be tax deductable.

Reservations by nominees and JJA members MUST be made either via secure
server at www.JazzJournalistsAwards.com (a site set up by Jazzcorner.com), or
by note and payment by check made out to the Jazz Journalists Association,
sent to our treasurer Arnold Jay Smith, 436 State St., Brooklyn NY 11217.

Don Lucoff dondlmedia@covad.net and Lisa Hagani lhagani@worldnet.att.net are
handling publicity for the awards. Entertainment will be provided by pianist
David Hazeltine's band, and probably another group, too. We will have a
well-known jazz-fan emcee and keynote speaker. We are also going to give JJA
Discretionary Awards to jazz activitists for their humanistic contributions
-- on the same day, June 17 -- in Jerusalem, Chicago,  Washington D.C. and
perhaps elsewhere. The honorees and more details will be announced.

Last year's party was a blast -- see R. Andrew Lepley's gallery of photos at
Jazzhouse. We have more space at B.B. King's than we did at the Jazz Standard
-- and will be able to accomodate approximately 450 attendees. We've got a
bit of time to organize this event further -- we've had interest from cable
tv and satellite radio, and continue to investigate broadcast possibilities
-- there's lots to do. If you care to participate in the event in any way,
please let me know.

Until then -- VOTE!

and may the best nominees win,

Howard Mandel