[jja-announce] vote! A date change, and Jazz Matters (so does contemporary classical music)

Jazzmandel@aol.com Jazzmandel@aol.com
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 09:32:47 EDT

Hi all JJA members --

the voting booth is open at Jazzhouse.org, and this is the first prompt to
please make your selections for creme de la creme of JJA Awards jazz
finalists in musical and journalistic categories. Also, at Jazzhouse you can
view the photographs submitted as Photo of the Year, and vote for your fave
among them. Vote now -- polling will end on May 1 -- vote once. We had 90
members nominate the finalists, and hope to have more voters, percentage
wise, than in U.S. presidential elections.

The date of the Jazz Awards event has been changed -- we will celebrate these
winners at B.B. King's in Manhattan, and discretionary awards winners in
several cities across the U.S. and in Jerusalem, on Wednesday, June 25. This
is because B.B. King's got a request they couldn't refuse, to film a PBS show
featuring Les Paul (turning 80), B.B. himself, Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck. I
hope nobody had made their travel plans and booked hotels yet for the earlier
date, which is now null and void. JUNE 25 -- that's when we will have our
supper party, 4 to 7 p.m. And it's shaping up to be a hot ticket.

Speaking of tickets: You as a JJA member may reserve up to five tickets for
$20 each, by going to www.JazzJournalistsAwards.com, the website kindly
created and tended by Jazzcorner.com. Tickets for jazz industry supporters
and the general public are $75 -- tickets for nominees, after their two
complimentary ones, are $20 each for up to five more, also. You can use a
credit card via secure server at JazzJournalistsAwards.com -- or you may send
a check for your tickets made out to the Jazz Journalists Association to
Arnold Jay Smith, 436 State St., Brooklyn NY 11217.

But JJA members -- and nominees -- MUST reserve their $20 tickets in advance,
by June 20. We do not want to have the fracas at the door of last minute
arrivals we had last year. B B King's ought to be big enough to accomodate
everyone who wants to attend, but we MUST KNOW ABOUT YOUR $20 RESERVATIONS IN
ADVANCE.

Last but not least -- if you're not going to a seder tomorrow, April16, the
JJA is holding the third of its spring Jazz Matters discussions with a
distinguished panel. The topic is:
The Jazz and Contemporary Classical Overlap: How the Musics Intersect for
Listeners, Musicians and Journalists. The Music Critics Association of North
America has co-sponsored this meeting, and its members taking part are Frank
J. Oteri (New Music Box, American Music Center), freelancer Ken Smith (writes
for the Newark Times Ledger, among other publications), Ann Midgette,
classical reviewer for the New York Times. JJA member Steve Smith, classical
writer for Time Out New York, pianist and composer D.D. Jackson (who is also
a columnist for Down Beat), and Thomas Bellino, director of the Doris Duke
Jazz Fellowship Program administered by Chamber Music America complete the
guest list. I will moderate.

The Jazz Matters discussion is free, from 4 to 6 p.m., at the fifth floor
performance space of the New School Jazz and Contemporary Music Program, 55
W. 13th St., NY NY.
Hope to see you there --

best, President Howard