[jja-announce] for photogs mostly: specific R&B images sought by JJA member

Jazzmandel at aol.com Jazzmandel at aol.com
Mon Oct 27 15:17:56 EST 2003

JJA members -- this is a note from JJA member Suzan Jenkins, who's looking
for some photographs and has a budget to pay for them.

In a message dated 10/27/03 2:12:44 PM, Muzikmusette writes:

<< Dear Fellow JJA Members  - I hope this message finds you well.  I am
designing a website for the radio series I produced entitled Let the Good Times
Roll.  We're looking for a few good photos.  Please look at the list below and
let me know if you have any photos we might be able to use for the site.  We've
got a small budget, so depending on your photos and the rarity of the image,
we can discuss a fee that works for both of us.  I'll be out of town until 11/6
but please e-mail me at muzikmusette at aol.com with any information regarding
the photos and I'll contact you upon my return.  Looking forward!

Peace,

Suzan Jenkins

Personalities, Groups, Places in the Series

“Let the Good Times Roll”

Ewart Abner

"Pistol" Allen (Motown drummer)

Katherine Anderson (The Marvelettes)

DeFord Bailey

LaVern Baker

Mickey Baker (Mickey & Sylvia)

Hank Ballard (& The Midnighters)

Gene ‘Daddy G’ Barge

Ralph Bass

Dave Bartholomew

Lefty Bates (VeeJay Records guitarist)

Al Bell

William Bell

Al Benson

Brooke Benton

Chuck Berry

Richard Berry

Joe Bihari

Bobbie Blue Bland

Thomas "Beans" Bowles (Motown musician)

Hadda Brooks

Charles Brown

Gatemouth Brown

James Brown

Roy Brown

Ruth Brown

Solomon Burke

Jerry Butler

Bobby Byrd (of "The Famous Flames")

'Little' Milton Campbell

Earl "Speedo" Carroll

Clarence Carter

Ray Charles

Gene Chandler

Dick Clark

Clay Cole

Nat King Cole (and Trio)

Mitty Collier

Sam Cooke

Pee Wee Crayton

Arthur ‘Big Boy’ Crudup

Bobby Day

Buddy Deane

'Sugar Pie' DeSanto

Bo Diddley

Willie Dixon

Ruth Dolphin (co-owned record store on Central Ave)

Fats Domino

Big Al Downing

'Champion' Jack Dupree

Ahmet Ertegun

Frankie Ervin

Betty Everett

Sid Feller

Panama Francis

Aretha Franklin

Lowell Fulson

Harvey Fuqua

Carl Gardner (of the Coasters)

Marvin Gaye

Bob Geddins

Jockey Jack Gibson

Shirley Goodman

Roscoe Gordon

Berry Gordy

Al Green

Lionel Hampton

Wynonie Harris

Screamin’ Jay Hawkins

Isaac Hayes

Al Hibbler

John Lee Hooker

Joe Hunter (Motown piano player)

Aaron Izenhall (Louis Jordan sideman)

Leroy Hurte

Pervis Jackson ("The Spinners")

Illinois Jacquet

Etta James

Dr. John

Little Willie John

Mable John

Pete Johnson

Louis Jordan (& The Tympany Five)

Ernie K-Doe

Jacki Kelso (saxophone player with Roy Milton & His Solid Senders)

B.B. King

Ben E. King

Earl King

George Klein

Billy Leaner (Chicago record distributor)

Leiber & Stoller (Jerry Leiber & Mike Stoller)

Barbara Lewis

Meade Lux Lewis

Joe Liggins

Darlene Love

Little Milton

Little Richard

Nellie Lutcher

Gloria Lynne

Mardi Gras Indians

Cosimo Matassa

Curtis Mayfield

Percy Mayfield

Tina Mayfield

Jimmy McCracklin

'Big' Jay McNeely

Clyde McPhatter

Jay McShann

Roy Milton (& His Solid Senders)

George Murry (father had a restaurant on Central Avenue)

Syd Nathan (King Records founder)

The Neville Brothers (together and alone as Art, Aaron, Cyril and Charles
Neville)

David "Fathead" Newman

Johnny Otis

Earl Palmer

Pinetop Perkins

Esther Phillips

Wilson Pickett

St. Clair Pinckney (James Brown sax player)

Maxine Powell (Motown charm school director)

Lloyd Price

Charley Pride

Q, R

Otis Redding

Zelma Redding (Otis Reddings' widow)

Martha Reeves

Sir Mack Rice

Tommy Ridgley

Bobby Robinson

Smokey Robinson

Jimmy Rogers

Diana Ross

"Little" Jimmy Scott

Joe Simon

Percy Sledge

Arlene Smith

The Staple Singers (Mavis and Pops Staples and others)

Jesse Stone

Barrett Strong

Koko Taylor

Irma Thomas

Carla Thomas

Rufus Thomas

‘Big Mama’ Thornton

Allen Toussaint

Ike Turner

‘Big Joe’ Turner

Tina Turner

Sonny Til

Doris Troy

Phil Upchurch

Gary US Bonds

V, W

T-Bone Walker

Dinah Washington

John Waters

Muddy Waters

Katie Webster

Paul ‘Hucklebuck’ Williams

Jackie Wilson

Mary Wilson

Jimmy Witherspoon

Howlin’ Wolf (Chester Burnette)

Stevie Wonder

GROUPS

Billy Ward & His Dominoes

Booker T. & the MGs

Earth, Wind & Fire

Sam & Dave

The Chantels

The Chi-Lites

The Clovers

The Coasters

The Delfonics

The Dells

The Dixie Cups

The Dramatics

The Drifters

The Emotions

The Famous Flames

The Five Royales

The Flamingos

The Four Tops

The Five Satins

Gladys Knight & the Pips

The Harptones

The Impressions

The Intruders

The Isley Brothers

The Marvelettes

The Midnighters

The Miracles

The Moonglows

The O’Jays

The Orioles

The Penguins

The Platters

The Ravens

The Shirelles

The Staple Singers

The Stylistics

The Supremes

The Temptations

The Vandellas

PLACES, THINGS

Al Green’s church, Memphis, TN

American Bandstand set

Atlantic Records office/building

Buddy Deane Show set (WJZ-Baltimore, MD)

Central Avenue clubs and nightlife

Chess Records studio or Macamba Lounge

Chicago’s Record Row

J&M Recording Studios, New Orleans