[jja-announce] Committee Formation

Willard Jenkins muzikmuse at comcast.net
Thu Dec 16 19:50:59 EST 2004

JJA Members:
We are in the formative stages of developing a jazz writer mentoring
program which will have a significant initiative geared towards
assisting aspiring jazz writers from diverse communities.  With the
recent passing of member Clarence Atkins (at the ripe young age of 83),
a noted gentleman of jazz reportage, fixture on the New York jazz scene
and beyond, and an elder in the far-too-limited coterie of African
American jazz writers, there is an opportunity to establish a
scholarship fund in his name for worthy African American jazz writer
aspirants.  Members Bob Blumenthal and Gary Giddins have expressed their
interest in this JJA initiative and we would like to recruit others -
particularly women so that this does not become another male-centric
jazz writer effort - to participate in the discussion and planning of
this timely new JJA effort.  Please reply directly to me via
muzikmuse at comcast.net.  Perhaps we can have some formative discussions
at the upcoming IAJE conference in Long Beach (January 5-8).  Here's
wishing you & yours a happy and fruitful holiday season and.
Peace,
Willard Jenkins
JJA VP
www.openskyjazz.com