[jja-announce] another couple of things

Jazzmandel at aol.com Jazzmandel at aol.com
Thu Apr 7 14:31:27 EDT 2005

Hey all full-fledged JJA members --

please vote in the Jazz Awards -- by going to Jazzhouse.org and clicking into
the ballot. One ballot to a member, of course. There are some interesting
ties shaping up in the votes cast so far that need to be broken. . . and that's
all I can say about what's happening with the finalists so far.

However: re sponsors, BETJazz, the 24 hour jazz cable network, is our
underwriting sponsor, and will create a television special from the Jazz Awards event
in New York (June 14, Tuesday, from 5 to 8 p.m. at B.B. King's) for eventual
broadcast. HIP Health Plan of New York has agreed to sponsor the HIP-JJA
Lifetime Achievement Award in Jazz this year, with an option to continue in years
to come. ASCAP is supporting music at the NY event -- Jack DeJohnette has
agreed to play a drum solo, and we will honor Sy Johnson, master composer-arranger
(long associated with Charles Mingus and the Mingus Big Band) who is also a
fine jazz photographer and was the jazz editor of Changes magazine in the '70s,
on the occasion of his 75th birthday, by presenting him with a 7 piece
ensemble, playign three original works. (more music tba). BMI and the JJA continue to
discuss sponsorship options, and we have some other proposals at work, too.
(If you have specific sponsorship ideas, please address them to Shannon
Gibbons, gibbonssha at aol.com -- she's working with the JJA in a
fundraising-development capacity).

Please VOTE!!  By April15, when the polls close at 6 p.m. EDT

BIG THING #2 -- the National Critics Conference JJA panels are shaping up.
 May 26 we start with African American Perspectives on Jazz Journalism; panel
includes Willard Jenkins (BETJazz, WPFW-FM, JazzTimes, Tri-C Jazz Fest,
etc.), Sharony Andrews Green (author of the biography of Grant Green), Roy Hurst
(jazz broadcaster-storyteller, NPR's News and Notes), and bassist-ensemble
leader John Clayton. After lunch, we have LA as Jazzland, with Don Heckman (LA
Times), Fred Jung (Allaboutjazz.la), and other local JJA members and friends
giving us the lay of the land. There's a fancy reception that afternoon at the
Getty Center, to which we're all invited, then the possibility of visiting a small
Santa Monica jazz club which Heckman recommends highly
.
Friday is the NCC day when the panels are cross-genre, all featuring critics
and journalists representing classical music, visual arts, dance and theater
as well as jazz.

Friday night we will go (those of us who want to) to the Pasadena Jazz
Festival.

Saturday panels look like: Cross-disciplinary reviewing from a jazz
perspective, with Bill Minor (musician and poet, besides JJA "contract doctor" and
author of books on jazz in the former USSR and Asia); Bill Moody (novelist,
drummer, deejay, writing professor); Sharony Andrews Green (again, yes -- but she's
getting an advanced degree with a dissertation on jazz and dance), and others;
also, The Art of the Interview, with Devra Hall (samples of her work to be
posted at Jazzhouse shortly), Ted Panken (Down Beat, Jazziz, WKCR-FM,
BarnesandNoble.com, etc.), others TBA.

Sunday we may do another panel, on historical research on West Coast jazz;
Sunday night will be the second annual JJA West Coast Jazz Party, honoring Kenny
Burrell, Gerald Wilson, Wadada Leo Smith and Dr. Craig Springer, with an
extraordinary lineup of LA area jazz players performing (thanks to Fred Jung for
producing this event).

so it's shaping up -- sorry for the missing details, but please look at the
NCC website (click from Jazzhouse.org) for details about registration, air-fare
discounts, discount lodging at the Omni Hotel in downtown LA where the NCC
takes place, etc.

more soon -- Howard