[jja-announce] nominations for the Jazz Awards (again)

Jazzmandel at aol.com Jazzmandel at aol.com
Thu Feb 24 11:53:07 EST 2005

Hi all --

because I have been notified by elections officer Ken Dryden that the
nominations are running slow, I've introduced a "Lobby for nominees here" topic
stream at Jazzhouse.org, in the BBS. If you think you've got a nominee who really
demands attention, you might well argue your case in the BBS.

Also, if you want to nominate a photo, get in touch with Andrew Lepley,
Raljazzpix at aol.com

I've just received the Down Beat Critics Poll ballot, and while I respect the
poll,                    isn't it great that the JJA hosts parties for its
Jazz Awards nominees and winners (both east coast and west coast this year),
raises funds for the Jazz Foundation of America and our own operations with the
Awards event, and does something more to trumpet the honors of excellence that
just publish them in our own journal?

By the way at the Guernsey Jazz Auction last week, DB poll awards from the
'50s and '60s were drawing bids of $500 to $2500. So were Playboy Jazz Awards
medallions. Bird's alto was bought for $225,000, and a letter from Bill Evans to
Coltrane, written in 1958, sold for $32,500. Quite the event. . . .

Please get your nominations of JJA Jazz Awards in. Nominations, as many as
four in each of the 40 categories (corresponding to last year's ballot, viewable
at Jazzhouse.org.), should be sent to jjaballot2005 at yahoo.com.

thanks, Howard