[jja-announce] JJA party tonight at IAJE in Long Beach

Jazzmandel at aol.com Jazzmandel at aol.com
Thu Jan 6 11:07:24 EST 2005

sorry for the last-minute nature of this announcement, and don't mean to make
those of you to whom it isn't applicable unnecessarily envious --

but the JJA will hold its IAJE cocktail party tonight, Jan. 6, at Alegria, a
nice restaurant just outside the Long Beach convention center, from 5 to 7
p.m. We'll have cocktails and appetizers, and it's free of course to all comers,
and we'd really like to see a crowd there -- musicians, music industry people,
etc are welcome. Fred Jung did another great job setting this up, and we want
to take advantage of the oppportunity to have a great time.

 Last night, Herbie Hancock played brilliantly in his post Miles mode with a
combo of promising gradxates of the Thelonious Monk institute; Nancy Wilson
presented him with an IAJE award, and the "Sisters in jazz" student group was
fine playing Footprints and a Monk tune,followed by the very young but sincere
and chops gifted pianist Eldar, paying tribute to Hancock. Long Beach has been
drenched in the past few days, I'm hoping it will be dry today, and the JJA
has several important committee meetings, leading up to the membership meeting
at 2 p.m. Saturday. If you're in Long Beach or nearby, PLEASE try to make it to
the membership meeting, and to the party tonight. If you need to reach me
regarding any of the committee meetings -- re mentoring/education initiative or
bylaws, specifically -- you can call my cell 212 533 4952.

thanks all -- more reports comin' up --

Howard