[jja-announce] 9th annual Jazz Awards FINALIST ballot

Jazzmandel at aol.com Jazzmandel at aol.com
Wed Mar 23 09:40:11 EST 2005

Hi JJArs,

the Finalist Ballot for the 9th annual Jazz Awards is now viewable and
votable at www.Jazzhouse.org. Only full JJA members -- no support members, no
civilians -- may vote. Please do. And view the nominated "best photos of the year"
before voting, so you know what to vote for before you get to that (last)
category.

The Jazz Awards this year will be presented by BETJazz, the 24 hour jazz
channel. The JJA is currently in negotiation with a slew of other highly regarded
sponsors. The Jazz Awards are again a benefit for the Jazz Foundation of
America's Musicians Emergency Fund, which tries to provide  quick and comprehensive
assistance to musicians facing health crisises, housing difficulties, and
even intense needs of career support. The JJA itself will also benefit from this
year's jazz Awards -- we are seeeking funding for our participation in the
National Critics Conference, our mentoring/education initiatives, and overall
expenses involved with our new status as a legal 501c3 not-for-profit service
organization.

The Jazz Awards nominees will be seen and hear at
www.JazzJournalistsAwards.com, a website created by bassist-composer Ben Allison and hosted by
JazzCorner.com (Lois Gilbert, principal), where you will also be able to reserve tickets
for the Jazz Awards, June 14 at BB King's in NYC ($50 to JJA members; $150
for the general public), and/or the 2nd West Coast Jazz Party, May 29 at the
Jazz Bakery in LA ($25 for JJA members, $75 to general public).

Music so far for the Jazz Awards at B.B.'s: an ensemble directed by JJA
member and Mingus Big Band music director Sy Johnson, a solo by Jack DeJohnette.
Further surprises to be announced. ..

best, Howard