[jja-announce] another JJA announce?

Jazzmandel at aol.com Jazzmandel at aol.com
Mon May 16 13:07:19 EDT 2005

Yes -- especially to West Coast members: please consider attending at least a
day of the National Critics Conference in L.A. May 25 through 28, and or the
third annual Left Coast Jazz Party at the Jazz Bakery on the even of May 29.
Tickets for these available via jazzhouse.org

NCC Registration fees are now $105 for the full conference,  or $75 a day --
cheap for the amount of high toned career-oriented professional discussions
and social contacts with peers from across the U.S. available via the
conference. After 4 years of planning by 5 professional  critics and journalists
organizations, the program is teaming with provocative talks and action sessions at
the Omni Hotel plus lunches and receptions at arts institutions including the
Getty Center, the JJA's own star studded panels (Kamou Daaood, John Clayton,
Sharony Andrews Green, Bill Minor, Bill Moody, Bill Beuttler, Ted Panken, David
Ritz, Devra Hall -- oh wow!) and club visits to the Vic for Jazz, Catalina's
Bar and Grill, the Pasadena Jazz Festival at the Rose Bowl, a symposium on Stan
Kenton's legacy, much more . . .

The 3rd Left Coast Jazz party, at the Jazz Bakery on Sunday, May 29, 6 to 10
pm, has added Bobby Bradford's motet to an already great line up of performers
-- Freddie Redd trio! Joe McPhee solo! Vinny Golia Ensemble! -- and a finely
mixed bag of honorees (Kenny Burrell Charlie Haden Wadada Leo Smith Dr. Craig
Springer Gerald Wilson), supper and cocktails for $25 for JJA members, $75 for
civilians and the unaffiliated.

For all JJA members and friends in New York City on June 14 -- $50 tickets
are now on sale for JJA members for the JJA's ninth Annual Jazz Awards,
featuring Jack DeJohnette solo drums, Sy Johnson's 75th Birthday Septet, ASCAP Young
Jazz Composers Competition winners, a not-quite-yet confirmed surprise singing
star, Robert Wisdom of HBO's gritty police drama The Wire as well as supper,
drinks, awards for musicians and journalists and special honorees (including
the Heath Brothers (Jimmy and we hope Tootie will be there; we sadly honor Percy
posthumously).

 We're being video taped for later broadcast on BET and BETJazz and working
on a hookup with WBGO-FM, a major sponsor last year, but there's nothing like
being at the Jazz Awards live. Members invited to show up for the annual group
photo by Gene Martin at 3:15.  Great silent photo auction in the works, too.
JJA members can purchase up to 5 tickets for $50; civilians' tickets are $150
each, party table for 4 at $1000.

Support the JJA with a $50 classified ad -- especially If you can't make the
NCC, Left Coast Jazz Party or the Jazz Award. A three-line 100 character
classified in the glossy JJA Jazz Awards program book, can state your name, contact
#s, specialty, maybe a brief motto. Your chance to support the JJA and be in
1000 copies of the program given away this year at the event and after,
promoting the 10 annual Jazz Awards in 2006.

To purchase and prepare your ad,  go to to JazzJournalistsAwards.com.

that's all -- Howard

it's a crucial time of the JJA. We seem to be on a successful track with the
Jazz Awards, and need to now come up with viable programming for the next
year, beyond our usual presence at IAJE in January. Chapters in Boston and New
York will continue Jazz Matters panels, but D.C., Chicago, and several spots on
the West Coast are prime for establishing or re-establishing similar programs.
Some JJA members are advancing plans to institute peer education and
mentoring-of-emerging-journalists projects. The JJA hopes to continue and develop its
Clarence Atkins Scholarship Fund, and perhaps organize a one-day Jazz
Journalism Symposium.

We will have a national meeting for all members on June 15, in NYC -- time
and place to be determined. Ideas and participation are welcome from all.