[jja-announce] Lobby for Your Recommended Jazz Awards Nominees

jazzcritic at bellsouth.net jazzcritic at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 30 11:53:56 EST 2006

Dear Members:

Last year we had some limited discussion through postings on jazzhouse's bulletin board about people that members thought deserved to be nominated within individual jazz awards categories. Since the ballot will remain the same as last year's, you are welcome to post your recommendations.

Please give some thought to nominees for their work over the past year, while trying to include at least one new name in each voting category, as it is easy to get in a rut and vote for the same tenor saxophonists, bandleaders, pianists, etc. from one year to the next, if we aren't careful. On the other hand, an artist should not be omitted simply because of previous JJA awards.

Working backwards from the event date, June 19 (a Monday), we need to have the winners' names to the Awards manufacturer by May 15. The final tabulations are quick, online, but the nominations ballots take a long time to sift through (I know, as I had to tabulate them without an assistant last year). We would like to have the final nominees posted  by April 1, with the final voting to END May 1.
Any CD already in your hands by April 1st should be considered eligible.

Don't feel limited to discussing the usual artists, as it is important to bring up other names now so those of us who don't have the relevant CDs might have a chance to obtain them.

I'll try to get my comments posted at jazzhouse.org within the next couple of days.

Thank you in advance for your participation.

Ken Dryden
Ballot Chairman-Jazz Awards

Addendum:

Here are last year's categories and nominees:

Here are the nominees for the JJA Jazz Awards 2005:

1) Lifetime Achievement in Jazz
Roy Haynes
Hank Jones
Lee Konitz
Sam Rivers

2) Musician of the Year
Dave Douglas
Dave Holland
Joe Lovano
Branford Marsalis

3) Up & Coming Musician of the Year
Sean Jones
Jeremy Pelt
Madeleine Peyroux
Manuel Valera

4) Jazz Album of the Year
Don Byron, Ivey Divey (Blue Note)
Branford Marsalis, Eternal (Marsalis Music)
Maria Schneider, Concert in the Garden (Artists Share)
Clark Terry, Porgy & Bess (A440)

5) Jazz Reissue of the Year, single CD
Duke Ellington, Blues in Orbit (Columbia Legacy)
Coleman Hawkins, Centennial Collection (BMG Bluebird)
Andrew Hill, Dance With Death (Blue Note)
Sam Rivers, Contours (Blue Note)

6) Jazz Reissue of the Year, boxed set
Albert Ayler, Holy Ghost (Revenant),
Miles Davis, Seven Steps: The Complete Columbia Recordings, 1963-1964
(Columbia Legacy)
Dexter Gordon, The Complete Prestige Recordings (Mosaic)
Various, The Complete Norman Granz Jam Sessions (Verve)

7) Jazz Record Label of the Year
Blue Note
Mosaic
Palmetto
Telarc

8) Jazz Events Producer of the Year
Todd Barkan/Jazz at Lincoln Center
Randall Kline/SFJazz
Patricia Nicholson-Parker/Vision Series
George Wein/Festival Productions

9) Jazz Composer of the Year
Dave Douglas
Fred Hersch
Dave Holland
Maria Schneider

10) Jazz Arranger of the Year
Bob Brookmeyer
Slide Hampton
Dave Holland
Maria Schneider

11) Male Jazz Singer of the Year
Andy Bey
Kurt Elling
Giacomo Gates
Kevin Mahogany

12) Female Jazz Singer of the Year
Dee Dee Bridgewater
Dianne Reeves
Luciana Souza
Cassandra Wilson

13) Latin Jazz Album of the Year
Charlie Haden, Land of the Sun (Verve)
Jerry Gonzalez, Y Los Piratas del Flamenco (Sunnyside)
Gonzalo Rubalcaba, Paseo (Blue Note)
Omar Sosa, Mulatos (OTA)

14) Small Ensemble Group of the Year (octet or smaller)
Bill Charlap Trio
Dave Douglas Quintet
Branford Marsalis Quartet
Jason Moran Trio
Bobby Watson & Horizon

15) Large Ensemble of the Year (nonet or larger, including big bands, jazz orchestras, contemporary symphonies, et. al.)
Dave Holland Big Band
Maria Schneider Big Band
Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra
Vanguard Jazz Orchestra

16) Trumpeter of the Year
Dave Douglas
Wynton Marsalis
Nicholas Payton
Clark Terry

17) Trombonist of the Year
Bob Brookmeyer
Robin Eubanks
Wycliffe Gordon
Roswell Rudd
Steve Turre

18) Player of the Year of Instruments Rare in Jazz
Howard Johnson, tuba
Gregoire Maret, harmonica
David Murray, bass clarinet
Scott Robinson, various reeds (bass sax, C-melody sax, etc.)
Bob Stewart, tuba

19) Alto Saxophonist of the Year
Ornette Coleman
Lee Konitz
Greg Osby
Phil Woods

20) Tenor Saxophonist of the Year
Joe Lovano
Branford Marsalis
Chris Potter
Sonny Rollins
Wayne Shorter

21) Soprano Saxophonist of the Year
Jane Ira Bloom
Dave Liebman
Branford Marsalis
Wayne Shorter

22) Baritone Saxophonist of the Year
Hamiet Bluiett
Ronnie Cuber
Claire Daly
Gary Smulyan

23) Clarinetist of the Year
Don Byron
Kenny Davern
Marty Ehrlich
Ken Peplowski

24) Flutist of the Year
Jamie Baum
Jane Bunnett
James Moody
Frank Wess

25) Pianist of the Year
Kenny Barron
Bill Charlap
Jason Moran
Cecil Taylor

26) Organ-keyboards of the Year
Joey DeFrancesco
Larry Goldings
Jimmy Smith
Dr. Lonnie Smith

27) Guitarist of the Year
Bill Frisell
Jim Hall
Russell Malone
Pat Metheny
John Scofield

28) Acoustic Bassist of the Year
Charlie Haden
Dave Holland
Christian McBride
William Parker

29) Electric Bassist of the Year
Richard Bona
Bob Cranshaw
Christian McBride
Steve Swallow

30) Strings Player of the Year (violin, cello, kora, harp, etc.)
Billy Bang
Regina Carter
Erik Friedlander
Jenny Scheinman

31) Mallets Player of the Year (vibes, marimba, etc.)
Gary Burton
Stefon Harris
Bobby Hutcherson
Steve Nelson

32) Percussionist of the Year
Don Alias
Ray Barretto
Kahil El¹Zabar
Giovanni Hidalgo
Poncho Sanchez

33) Drummer of the Year
Brian Blade
Jack DeJohnette
Winard Harper
Roy Haynes

JAZZ JOURNALISM CATEGORIES

1) Jazz Journalism Lifetime Achievement Award
Bob Blumenthal
Francis Davis
Mike Zwerin

2) Excellence in Jazz Broadcasting/the Willis Conover-Marian McPartland Award
Eric Jackson (WGBH-FM)
Linda Yohn (WEMU-FM)
Rhonda Hamilton (WBGO-FM)
Bob Perkins (WRTI-FM)
Jim Wilke (PRI/Jazz After Hours)
Ted Panken (WKCR-FM)

3) Excellence in Photography/the Lona Foote-Bob Parent Award
Jimmy Katz
Jack Vartoogian
Alan Nahigian
C. Andrew Hovan

4) Excellence in Newspaper, Magazine or Online Feature or Review Writing/the Helen Dance-Robert Palmer Award
Bill Milkowski (JazzTimes, various others)
Ted Panken (Down Beat, Jazziz, Barnes&Noble.com, New York Daily News)
Mike Zwerin (International Herald Tribune)
Nate Chinen (Philadelphia City Paper, Village Voice, various others)
Ben Ratliff (New York Times)

5) Best Periodical Covering Jazz
JazzTimes
Down Beat
Cadence
Signal to Noise

6) Best Website Concentrating on Jazz
Allaboutjazz.com
Jazzcorner.com
Allmusic.com
Jazztimes.com

7) Best Book About Jazz
Footprints: The Life and Work of Wayne Shorter, Michelle Mercer (Tarcher-Penguin)
Weather Bird: Jazz at the Dawn of Its Second Century, Gary Giddins (Oxford University Press)
Living With Jazz, Dan Morgenstern (Oxford University Press)
Jazz and Its Discontents, Francis Davis (Da Capo)