[jja-announce] Several additional points to ponder about nominations

jazzcritic at bellsouth.net jazzcritic at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 30 14:39:41 EST 2006

Dear everyone:

Several inquiries prompted me to add the following guidelines for nominations:

You may nominate from 0 to 5 names for each category. Please double check the spelling
of each name, CD title, etc., in order to have mercy on those who tabulate the ballots and to be sure
that each nomination is properly counted. Don't assume that the tabulators know every single
name on your ballot.

All CDs should be considered from April 1, 2005 to March 31, 2006. If you have a CD
in hand by March 31st, you may nominate it for this year's awards.

The Up and Coming Musician award is not limited to those making their debut as a
leader in the best year, but should be restricted to those who don't have an extensive
track record as a leader, say less than 5 CDs. This widens the field a good bit more that
when we restricted it to debut recordings only.

The Lifetime achievement award can go to any musician living or dead, even those who
passed on a few years or decades ago. Keep in mind that it may be tough to gather enough
push behind candidates who have been deceased for some time.

Get busy on those nominations!

Ken