[jja-announce] couple a things

Jazzmandel at aol.com Jazzmandel at aol.com
Fri Jul 14 16:05:47 EDT 2006

first off -- is anyone going to the Newport Jazz Festival? We have the
opportunity to set up a panel and party -- but I will NOT be there, and haven't
heard from anyone who will be, so I haven't pursued the JJA's opportunities. This
can fairly easily be turned around, if there's desire of the membership to get
together and do something in Newport and surroundings weekend of the fest.

2) The Third Annual Los Angeles Jazz Awards are being held at the Pasadena
Museum of Art on July 30, from 6 to 10 p.m. -- extraordinary vocalist Dwight
Trible, JJA's own Mark Towns Latin Jazz Band (he's a fine guitarist, with a new
recording featuring Hubert Laws), and drummer  Harris Eisenstadt Group are
performing, open bar and food for $25 in advance (tickets available starting
Monday at www.JazzJournalistsAwards.com) or $50 at the door -- presenters including
Scott Yanow, Rex Butters, Kirk Silsbee and Ken Borgers giving the Awards to A
Team inductees including Buddy Collette, Kamau Daaood, Terri Hinte, Ginny
Mancini, Ken Poston and Poncho Sanchez.

3) There will be JJA panels at the Tanglewood, Beantown (Boston) and Detroit
Jazz Festivals, maybe in Chicago, too. Watch for e-mail about them, or go to
Jazzhouse.org for updates.

that's it for now -- having a nice summer, are we?

best, Howard

Howard Mandel
151 1st Ave.
NY NY 10003