[jja-announce] did you wonder about the Jazz Awards?

Jazzmandel at aol.com Jazzmandel at aol.com
Thu Jun 29 18:32:06 EDT 2006

Dear JJA members,

Sorry it’s taken me over a week to report on the Jazz Awards event at BB King’
s Monday, June 19 --   it was a blowout requiring much preparation, quick and
exhausting work by a season troupe of volunteers, an intense party with
dozens of jazzers at work and play, fast breakdown and then follow-up, which is
what the production team is still doing now --

but let me tell you the Awards -- which kicked off with Gene Martin managing
a riotous photo of attending musicians and nominees -- and pianist Ezra Weiss,
an ASCAP composing award winner, with a slam bang sextet driven by Billy
Hart. By 4:10 when the Awards were introduced there was a full house, 450-some
jazzers including the first honoree of the afternoon:   Roy Haynes, receipient of
the JJA's Lifetime Achievement in Jazz.

Among other Award recipients in attendance: Concord Music Group, Label of the
Year (represented by Gene Rumsey)! George Wein, presenter of the year. Gerald
Wilson (large Ensemble), Andrew Hill (composer), Maria Schneider (arranger),
Jane Ira Bloom (soprano sax), James Carter (baritone sax), Dafnis Prieto, (Up
'n' comer of the year), Joe Locke (mallets player), Chris and Brandy Barretto,
(representing the late Ray Barretto, percussionist) -- and   among jazz
journalist receipients broadcaster Eric Jackson, feature writer Nate Chinen,
photographer Gene Martin, webmaster Michael Ricci, JazzTimes' Glenn Sabin, Lifetime
Achievement in Jazz Journalism honoree Howard Mandel. .for which I’m very
grateful and intend to now work to try to justify.

Other Awards recipients: Sonny Rollins, Musician of the Year -- represented
by Terri Hinte, A Team winner; Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane,
Record of the Year (represented by Thomas Evered and Alan Bergman, Esq., Blue Note
Records). Toots Thielesman, represented by Hendrick Meurkin. Paquito D’
Rivera, represented by Diego Urcola.

Nominees and great friends in attendance: Alan Skidmore, Lee Konitz, Muhal
Richard Abrams, Jason Moran, Nashiet Waits, Ronnie Cuber, Giacomo Gates, Dieglo
Urcola, Sue Mingus, Marty Ehrlich, Roswell Rudd, Verna Gillis, Claire Daly,
Lew Tabackin, Tierney Sutton, Jamie Baum, Dr. Lonnie Smith, Henry Grimes, Chris
and Brandy Barretto, Kendra Shank, Craig Taborn, Judy Bady, Jane Bunnett, Bob
Stewart, Randy Sandke, Marty Ehrlich, Peter Levinson, John Abbott, Francis
Davis, Lois Gilbert (JazzCorner.com), Ben Allison, Kenny Washington, Enid Farber,
Sheila Anderson,    --

 And speaking of other jazz journalists there: Gary Giddins, Dan Morgenstern,
Bob Blumenthal, Gene Santoro, Will Friedwald, Yvonne Ervin, Nancy Barell,
Robin Bell-Stevens, Cephus Bowles. of WBGO, Phil Freeman, Steve Schwartz pd of
WGBH, Linda Yohn, George Avakian -- who gave Roy Haynes that Lifetime
Achievement Award! Paul Blair, Bill Milkowski, Tom Reney, Tom Mallison, George Kanzler,
AJ Smith, David Adler, the entire staff of AllAboutJazz-NY, Hothouse magazine,
Michael Jackson (Chicago-Leeds), the PR dept. of Jazz at Lincoln Center, Hank
Shteamer of Timeout New York, Terry Gross of NPR-distributed Fresh Air, reps
of papers from Germany and France, Charlie Gans of AP (his story was posted on
websites of 70 newspapers, including Washington Post, Miami Herald, SF
Chronicle, and was summarized in the New York Times Arts, Briefly column). . . label
publicists Jo Crimmins (Concord), Mike W. (Telarc), Tina Pelikan (ECM), Doug
Yoel (Dreyfus), . ..many more, many --

including the great A Team: Gary Bartz giving the Award to impressive. Dollie
McLean, who had come in from Hartford with her daughter Melanae; Phoebe
Jacobs so strong from the stage; and Michael Cogswell so gracious; Sheldon Meyer,
editor of all the New Yorkers, warming us all; Bill McFarlin also sincerely
moved, receiving the Award from New School’s Martin Mueller; Jonathan F.P. Rose
so happy; Sandy Jaffe telling her tales of New Orleans; Ann Ward hugging Muhal
Richard Abrams!

Sy Johnson, composer-pianist, performed two new charts, with Craig Handy
navigating the blues, Mike Richmond on bass and Donald Edwards
drumming. TC the 3rd, a Philadelphia-rooted singer sponsored by
Anheuser-Busch and Jazzmobile, seemed at thorough ease with snappy street-swing and
Coltranesque yodelling, young trumpeters Christian Scott, a signatory of Concord
Music Group and Sean Jones, signed to Mack Avenue Records, got together on a hot
if brief duet of “Cherokee,” and Dewey Redman played a closing set on
clarinet, with guitarist John Boucher and nominee-drummer Matt Wilson -- it started
mysteriously and unpredictably swirled together.

We ended 15 minutes past our deadline, which was still within time, thanks to
BB King’s generosity -- we were so tight for   time though that jazz poet
Steve Dalachinsky went uncalled for his spotlit piece -- this must be made up to
him! And Wendy Oxenhorn, director of the Jazz Foundation of America, who had
left a meeting with her president of the board R. Jarrett Lillien and come to
the Awards on cruches to accept a check from pianist Eli Yamin, also only got a
chance to wave, but not to detail the JFA’s great New Orleans/national
outreach over the past year.

There was talk, gossip, chatter, table-hopping, maybe deals made throughout
the audience of BB’s the entire time of the Awards, through the food (salad,
chicken or pasta,   dessert, beer/wine, coffee/sodas -- did you come to eat? But
there best be something. . . ) through the performances and presentations. It
was rude, the amount of sheer dismissal of what’s going on onstage, but also h
as proved to be impossible to stop, in the present Awards event format.
Considering the productions challenges and not-meant-for-prime-time plot (really,
things went relatively smoothly) it was probably just as well we didn’t have
major TV shooting going on, but rather hand-help, ad hoc video documentation
from JJA members Dan Kassell and Claire Daly.

Our older attendees, in particular, are discomfitted by the noise level and
just-offstage chaos which we have not been able to master -- and though the
Awards are fun to produce this way, we have unfortunately upset people we’ve
meant to celebrate. Poet Jayne Cortez, honoree Marian McPartland, master engineer
Rudy Van Gelder, for one, who was brought to the Awards by jazz records legend
Creed Taylor a couple of years ago, and found the event difficult, to put it
mildly   -- for which we are eternally sorry. Despite it all the Awards at BB
King’s was, again for the third year, a highly energized and   enjoyable
industry/community event,   among those who carp about it. All attendees were given
party favors bags filled with music goodies -- Blue Note, Mack Ave., RKM and
New School jazz samplers, singers Josephine Livoti, Lainie Cooke, Louise
Rogers jazz for children, SF Jazz Collective, vols 1 and 2 of Keran Hebden and
Steve Reid’s The Exchane session,” Tunnels’ Natural Selection, a dvd of Moutin
Reunion Quartet. . . .(want any of these? Let me know and we’ll work out a price
of donation to the JJA, I still have some) -- also Jazz Improv,
AllAboutJazz-NY, the WBGO kids’ jazz magazine. Something for everybody.

The JJA made some $ on this event, as we meant to, though far less than last
year, though we were not stinting on fundraising efforts. The Jazz Awards seem
to have grown in acceptance and respect, but few players of the jazz
community are inclined to underwrite the Awards as they stand. And why should they?
The JJA has been putting on this party for nine years (the first year of the
Awards, it was virtually a private affair). Somehow we have found a way. I think
the way must change, if the Awards are to go forward.

Change, development, evolution have been continuously under discussion
throughout the decade of the Jazz Awards -- that’s how the event in NYC got to be as
it’s become. Time of year, time of day, day of week, size of hall, price of
tickets, promotion points, sponsorship benefits, event entertainment, Awards
presentation formats -- these aspects of the Awards have been discussed
endlessly by the active committee and occasional JJA members and onlookers. There is
no shortage of ideas, though there are limitations in the possibilities, given
the practicalities. The Jazz Awards belong to the JJA, and all members of the
JJA are urged to contribute thoughts and efforts to the Awards’ realization.
Only in the aftermath of the Awards event can the JJA see if it’s had positive
effect, and if the effort is worth repeating. I personally hope the JJA would
attract sustaining sponsorship to this worthy endeavor, the sponsoring
organization understanding -- nay, embracing -- the value of work done by journalists
covering jazz. If that doesn't happen, I don't see how the organization can
afford to put it on as it's been, much less make it any better.

Now about that work -- you may see some of it at Jazzhouse.org and
JazzJournalistsAwards.com. Charles Gans wrote an article for AP which was picked up by
more than 70 newspapers for their websites and print editions -- the New York
Times used that report as the basis of its “Arts Briefly” column notice of the
Jazz Awards. News of Sonny Rollins winning Musician of the Year made the CNN
crawl (as news of Wayne Shorter’s sweep in 2004 also made the crawl). Bob
Protzman is among the first JJA members to send me their own “for the record”
article about it -- I hope there will be others. If we believe in our Awards, and
I know of no reason not to, the excellence they celebrate deserves some
further recognition.

The JJA’s Los Angeles Jazz Awards are being celebrated at the Pasadena Museum
of Art on July 30; contact Fred Jung, ocundrgrnd at aol.com, for further
information.

best to all --

Howard