[jja-announce] two things -- Jazz Award 2007 nominations, Deems Taylor Awards submissions

Howard Mandel jazzmandel at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 18 11:16:06 EDT 2007

Dear JJA members --

You may have been wondering what happened to the JJA 2007 Jazz Awards
nominations --

Nominations have been tabulated, and await announcement via this list
serve and posting at www.Jazzhouse.org just as soon as I pull my head
out of finish-that-manuscript!-franticism.

As previously announced, the JJA will NOT hold a gala, jazz artists,
community and industry-wide party in New York City this June -- we do
anticipate having a party for members and their guests, but all
details remain to be worked out. We ARE giving Jazz Awards --
including to a new class of "A" Team honorees for advocacy, activism,
altruisim and all-around support of jazz in other forms than making
the music itself.

ALSO -- the annual ASCAP Deems Taylor Awards Competition for books
and articles and liner notes on music has an April 30 deadline for
submissions. The ASCAP Deems Taylor Awards are the only honors for
music journalists with cash prizes, plaques and recognition as well.
Submissions are fairly easy (there is no form, you must send multiple
photocopies and a cover letter) -- there is no entrance fee -- go to
http://www.ascap.com/deemstaylor/guidelines.html for details, or
contact Esther SanSauras at (212) 621-6323 or esansaurus at ascap.com.

Many JJA members have won ASCAP Deems Taylor Awards, and many more
should! Apply today.

OK  - AND -- if you're in NYC, come tonight (4/18) to the Jazz
Matters on the hip-hop/jazz/black rock mash up, with pianist Robert
Glasper (May Down Beat cover subject), writer-musician Greg Tate
(Village Voice, "Flyboy in the Buttermilk," the band Brown Sugar),
Revive Da Live hip-hop/jazz concert producer Meghan Stabile and me --
from 6 to 8 pm at the New School Jazz & Contemporary Music
performance space, 5th floor 55 W. 13th St. Free -- and we'll be
video'd for formativ.com (see last months' JJA panel "Jazz from Afar:
China, France, Russia" there, too).

Howard