[jja-announce] Andrew Hill, 1931-2007

Howard Mandel jazzmandel at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 20 12:23:53 EDT 2007

Hi JJA members and friends --

I've been asked by composer and pianist Andrew Hill's family to
announce to the press that he died at 4 a.m. today, April 20, 2007,
several years after being diagnosed with lung cancer. He was 75 years
old and lived in Jersey City, NJ.

  Hill, born June 30, 1931 in Chicago, Illinois (contrary to some
previously published places and dates dates), had a lengthy
international career as performer and recording artist, and educator
(at Portland State University; he also gave master classes at New
York University, and elsewhere; he leaves a voluminous and highly
varied recorded legacy, dating from the 1950s (So In Love) to his
2006  trio album Time Lines (Blue Note), named to many critics' top
ten lists. Hill is survived by his wife Joanne Robinson Hill, and a
neice, nephew and cousin, besides a devoted coterie of friends,
typically creative artists and perceptive fans.

As announced on April 11, Andrew Hill will receive an honorary
doctorate of music degree from Berklee College of Music at
commencement May 12; other honorees "for their achievements in the
world of music, and for their enduring contributions to American and
international culture" this year are Gloria and Emilio Estefan, and
The Edge; this distinction has perviously been extended to Duke
Ellington, Dizzy Gillespie, Tito Puente, Quincy Jones and Ahmet
Ertegun, among a few others. A press release from Berklee can be
obtained from Allen Bush, Office of Public Information, 617-747-2658
or at the school's website.

On April 3, 2007 Boosey & Hawkes music publishers announced the
addition of Andrew Hill "to its distinguished roster of composers"
whose works will be promulgated through its auspices. For information
on that agreement, contact Adina Williams, via the B&H jazz page at
www.boosey.com.jazz .

  Andrew was voted Jazz Composer of the Year by the Jazz Journalists
Association four times, most recently in 2006; he received the 2003
JazzPar Award, and was one of the first to receive a Doris Duke
Foundation Award for jazz composers. His recordings have been on Blue
Note, Mosaic, Palmetto and Black Saint/Soul Note, among other labels.

  Funeral and tribute information has not been determined. For
further information, call me at (212) 533-9495. I first met Andrew in
1971, we kept in touch and became friendly, I regard him highly and
am enriched to have known him.

Howard Mandel

hman at jazzhouse.org

office 212 533 9495