[jja-announce] party, symposium, party

Howard Mandel jazzmandel at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 24 00:05:27 EDT 2007

Dear JJA members --

the day-long symposium "Jazz and the Global Imagination," produced by
the Center for Jazz Studies at Columbia U next Saturday (Sept. 29)
from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. puts about 30 of our colleagues -- including
two dozen from outside the U.S. - onstage to talk in panel
discussions. But it offers ***all*** members of the JJA and curious
jazz journalists everywhere the opportunity to get involved in this
first international gathering of our profession in the U.S.

First there's the JJA's welcome reception for our visitors, 5:30 -
7:30 p.m., Friday, Sept. 28, free for all members (plus ones ok -- by
rsvp, please, to hman at jazzhouse.org) at the Lenox Lounge, 288 Lenox
Ave (between 124th and 125th St.) Food (thanks to Boosey & Hawkes
music publisher), cocktails and music by pianist Roberto Rodriguez's
trio (courtesty ASCAP). If you've already rsvp'd, don't worry, I've
got your names on the list -- but if you haven't, please let me know
you're going to come. Afterwards, a large party of us will go to hear
Steve Coleman and a heralded South African saxophonist at Museo del
Barrio, also in Harlem.

Saturday are the panels -- starting at 9 pm., five of them (with some
meal breaks) lasting until 6 p.m., then a final blowout discussion
revisiting topics of the day from 7:30 - 9:30 -- panelists for that
one include the NY lineup of Gary Giddins, Ben Ratliff, Stanley
Crouch, Francis Davis, Greg Tate, with
Gwen Ansell (South Africa), Seda Binbasgil (Turkey), Christian
Broecking (Germany), Alain Derbez (Mexico), Alex Dutilh (France), and
Kazue Yokoi (Japan).

The topics of the panels are viewable at www.globaljazz at columbia.edu
-- valuable, because the JJA is producing a simultaneous day-long
online Interactivew discussion at Jazzhouse.org, anchored by David
Adler, editor of Jazz Notes, and depending on dozens of bloggers,
both at the panel site and away from it, to chime into the
discussion. The panls WILL BE WEBCAST! -- specific details of which
will follow later this week.

The Interactiview software is easy. You can go to Jazzhouse.org and
follow sign-in instructions on Saturday. If you're curious, look at
any archive Interactiview forum to see how these work.

And then there's Sunday -- Jazz at Lincoln Center throwing a grand
brunch for the JJA at Dizzy's Club, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Free. Very good
menu, includes mimosas, and music by Cuban pianist Elio Villafranca's
quartet with saxophonist Ralph Bowen, bassist Carlo DeRosa, and
drummer Henry Cole. YES RSVP to hman at jazzhouse.org -- we can have as
many as 70 people here! We'll be sending off the jazz journalists
who've come, and following up on ideas that come out of the discussions.

The previously advertised walking tour of Harlem is in some doubt,
but we're hoping to find a tour guide -- details on success of that
will follow, too.

Please come to some of these JJA related events -- it's important our
organization make a good showing at this conference, if we hope to
have a larger, more inclusive one to follow up on it. It is a great
opportunity to connect with friends from overseas, and to engage with
some of the larger issues facing jazz journalists, which we often
overlook in haste to land gigs and make deadlines (speaking for
myself). It is a historic event, and it ought to be fun. Everything
is free to JJA members, and please invite unaffiliated colleagues to
attend the symposium or participate in the Interactiview blog to get
in on these same important discussions. "Jazz in the Global
Imagination" is an event such as the JJA has been hoping for, and I
urge JJA members to see it as an event, an opportunity, and a
convention, whether you're going to be onstage or not.

thanks for interest and patience -- please help this conference be
what it can be --

more soon, Howard

Howard Mandel
c/o Village Postal