[jja-announce] Jazz Awards voting and tickets

Howard Mandel jazzmandel at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 3 08:50:50 EDT 2008

Hey Members! --

The Jazz Awards voting booth closes at noon, June 4 -- so if you
haven't already, vote now! (be sure to take a look at the self-
nominated "best photos of the year") --

AND!!!! --

nearly all seats for the Jazz Awards are sold -- if you want a ticket
(at the members' $40 price) you ought to purchase one immediately at
Jazzhouse.org, otherwise you will not get in. This goes for nominees,
those who expect to be presenters, and so on. The Jazz Standard holds
120 people, that's it, and we can't jam in more.

Details of the Jazz Awards -- entertainment will include a
performance by pianist Hank Jones and saxophonist Joe Lovano --
Brother Thelonious Ale is being contributed by North Coast Brewery
thanks to Doug Moody (brother of JJA member-drummer-radio host-crime
novelist Bill Moody) -- we are expecting a host of NEA Jazz Masters,
besides Chairman Dana Gioia who has promoted that class of classy
jazz people -- Maria Schneider, Lee Konitz, Christian Scott, Marty
Ehrlich, Steve Swell, Gary Smulyan, Daniel Smith, Steve Lehman, Rafi
Makiel, Marty Sheller, Frank Wess, Candido, Dan Morgenstern, Giacomo
Gates, Matt Wilson, Larry Blumenfeld, Michael Ricci, Nate Chinen,
Lois Gilbert, Joanne Robinson Hill, Billy Bang, Marian McPartland,
Blue Note Records and Jazz at Lincoln Center (all nominees) besides
sponsors Boosey and Hawkes and our friends at ASCAP will be in the
house. . .

Howard

Howard Mandel
jazzmandel at earthlink.net