[jja-announce] JJA Photo of the Year

John Abbott monkdizbird at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 5 17:36:33 EDT 2009

Dear JJA Members & photography friends:

Howard Mandel has asked me to organize the JAZZ PHOTO OF THE YEAR segment for the June 17, 2009 awards. In order to show off the talents of the many jazz photographers out there,
we have determined to alter the Photo of the Year process.

1. All JJA members are invited to nominate their favorite photograph taken or first published between
March 1, 2008 and March 1, 2009. We recommend that these photos be published, but publication is not required for submission.
2. Photographers of jazz who are not members of the JJA are also encouraged to submit and their works may be nominated by members.
If you’ve seen a great photograph published during this time period please read on...
  3. The Photo of the Year category will have TWO PHASES:
   1. All entries will be voted on by JJA members to determine         the TOP FIVE PHOTOS which receive the most votes
      (First vote by about May 1, 2009)
   2. The TOP FIVE PHOTOS  will then be SUBJECTED TO A SECOND           VOTE by JJA members, which will determine a WINNER.               (Second vote by about May 21, 2009)

TO ENTER  PHOTO OF THE YEAR FOR AWARD CONSIDERATION:

      A. PLEASE SEND YOUR PHOTOGRAPH TO:

            monkdizbird at yahoo.com

One JPEG only,  72 dpi resolution, with longest side not more than 500 pixels(about 7 inches)Please provide YOUR NAME & ALL CAPTION INFORMATION

DEADLINE is April 28, 2009.  All entries submitted after April 30 will not be considered.

                    OR

       B. PLEASE SEND US THE NAME OF THE PHOTOGRAPHER, THEIR E-             MAIL ADDRESS,AND THE IDENTIFICATION OF THE PHOTOGRAPH             THAT YOU ARE NOMINATING TO:

            monkdizbird at yahoo.com

Photos will be posted for viewing and voting at the website of the Jazz Journalists Association. Winner of the Jazz Photo of the Year Award will be announced at the JJA's Jazz Awards event
to be held at the Jazz Standard in Manhattan on June 16, 2009.

It would be nice to get as many people as possible to enter this category. We believe the two-stage process will result in a strongly representative "Jazz Photo of the Year."

Thank you very much,
John Abbott
monkdizbird at yahoo.com