[jja-announce] JJA mentoring of Urban Assemble 11th, 12th graders

howard Mandel jazzmandel at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 24 12:39:47 EDT 2009

Yvonne Ervin, JJA Vice-President, is organizing a group of mentors
from the JJA for The Urban Assembly’s School for Music and Art’s 11th
and 12th graders interested in writing about music.  Although a half
dozen members did respond that they were interested in becoming
mentors when we announced the program last month, Yvonne and the staff
at Urban Assembly have decided to change the parameters so more
journalists might be able to participate. Contact will be, primarily,
via email with gatherings of all the mentors and mentees at an
evening  music event in October, January (around the JJA conference),
March and June.  The mentees will write reviews with the help of their
mentors and we’ll have a special section on jazzhouse.org to post
their work.  An informational meeting will be held at 6 p.m. on
Thursday, September 17th at a place TBA. Please contact Yvonne if you
are interested at yervin at urbanassembly.org or 646-278-4383.