[jja-announce] a Twitter campaign promoting live jazz

howard Mandel jazzmandel at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 27 08:53:17 EDT 2009

Hi all --

A campaign has been launched on Twitter to prove there IS a large,
vigorous audience for live jazz. It's not a promotional effort for
upcoming events, but rather a shout-out about jazz people have just
heard, WHO and WHERE with the hashtag #jazzlives (all within Twitter's
140 character limit). This is somewhat in response to the NEA's 2008
data about diminishing and aging audiences at live jazz events (and
all other arts events), which I believe undercounted a significant
segment of the populace, probably including those who use social
networking media to stay in touch and energize each other around their
entertainment preferences. It's also an experiment about the use of
Twitter for jazz, whether such a campaign can go viral, maybe move to
other social networking platforms, and whatever else may result.

So: If you Tweet (and Twitter accounts are free), please send a
message that jazz lives! Tell the world WHO you heard, WHERE, and
include #jazzlives in the message. We ought to be able to work up a
new metric (though it won't be a certifiable statistic) demonstrating
the energy and breadth of jazz listeners, especially in the US over
the weeks starting with the Charlie Parker Jazz Fest in NYC this
weekend, including Labor Day weekend's jazz fests at Tanglewood, in
Detroit, Chicago, LA (both the Angel City and Sweet & Hot Music Fest),
Philly (Tony Williams Scholarship fest), Jazz Aspen Snowmass, Vail
Jazz Party, Bumbershoot in Seattle, Getdown fest and campout, leading
to the Monterey and Beantown (Boston) fests. It's not ONLY about
audiences at fests, though -- Tweet about jazz heard in stand-alone
concerts, in clubs, in the streets and subways, anywhere jazz lives.
Jazz heard in live-broadcast on the radio or online counts!

The hashtag, by the way, is essential -- it's what enables us to see
all the campaign's Tweets together, to count them up.
A widget has been created to show the Tweets scrolling as they come
out in real time -- you can see this widget on my website www.HowardMandel.com
, and I hope soon at Jazzhouse.org -- you can also embed this widget
on your own website -- get the code from Darcy James Argue's Secret
Society vkif, http://secretsociety.typepad.com/

If you aren't on Twitter, you can advance this effort by mentioning it
in blog postings, on broadcasts, to friends, through email. I wonder
if there are as many listeners who will tweet they've heard live jazz
in the next few weeks as there were people at Woodstock.

Write to tweetjazzlives at gmail.com for further info --

best, Howard

Howard Mandel
jazzmandel at earthlink.net