[jja-announce] JJA activities, NYC January 7 - 11

Howard Mandel Jazzmandel at aol.com
Fri Dec 18 15:36:22 EST 2009

Dear JJA members,

I'm excited to tell you about programming the JJA is setting up for
the second weekend of Januaryt 2010 in New York City -- at the same
time as the annual conference of the Association of Performing Arts
Presenters, Winterjazz fest, GlobalFest and the National Endowment of
the Arts' Jazz Masters investitures at Jazz at Lincoln Center. Some
details are yet to be determined, but since these events are coming up
fast, you should have a heads up towards making plans.

APAP is generously providing the JJA with space to have meetings --
which are being designed as moderated town hall-like group discussions
-- in the afternoons of Friday, Saturday and Sunday Jan. 8 - 10. We
plan to have a workshop regarding online video production basics on
Saturday, Jan 9, and one on blogging, basics-to-intermedia level, on
Monday, Jan 11 (both these off-premises of APAP). We hope to have a
cocktail party -- with a low cost of cover charge -- on either Sunday
or Monday.

JJA members will be able to attend APAP's "Jazz Track" sessions IF
they register for working-press credentials from APAP  (contact Leah
Frelinghuysen, Director of Public Affairs at 202-212-6875, or email info at apapconference.org
). We can attend the NEA's "Meet the Jazz Masters" at 11 a.m. Monday
(make your reservation here) and contact Victoria Hutter, public
relations officer for the NEA's Jazz Masters, at Hutterv at arts.gov for
further information. We are also invited to attend APAP's final forum,
Tomorrow's Jazz Audiences: Where Are They? on Tuesday, 3 - 5 p.m. Make
reservations here.

To attend Winterjazz fest, an amazing carnival of current talents in 5
downtown clubs, running nights of both Jan 8 and 9, contact publicist
Kim Smith, GlobalFest which features international musical performers,
is a project of producer Bill Bragin, with dozens of international
bands playing on three stages at Webster Hall, Sunday Jan 10.

I've been in correspondence with some of you about aspects of this
programming, but very little of it is firm yet -- so if you haven't
been in touch with ideas or availability, please email me with your
concerns and/or interests. If you HAVE already consulted, I'll be
getting back to you.

Have a great weekend leading up to merry holidays, and I look forward
to what the JJA can do as its members get together (and get IT
together) in 2010.

Howard

Howard Mandel
jazzmandel at earthlink.net