[jja-announce] bar mitzvah of the Jazz Awards

howard Mandel jazzmandel at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 16 14:13:18 EST 2009

Dear JJA members and colleagues --

Ballot chairman Chris Kelsey and I have just corrected the 2009
nominations ballot, which you can download from

http://jazzhouse.org/JazzAwardBallot.rtf

If you are a full professional (as distinct from student or support
member) of the JJA, please fill it out with as many as five nominees
in each category. The "year" of jazz excellence celbrated by the
awards began March 1, 2008 and ends March 1, 2009 -- keep that in mind
regarding record releases dates in "best album" categories.

We added a new category: Best Jazz Blog, which will recognize a
specific blog whether composed by one or more people, as distinct from
"best jazz website," which is a more broadly encompassing platform or
umbrella or aggregator.

We've also held back on "Jazz Photo of the Year." A committee is
discussing how to revise the nomination and voting process on this
category; more information on this will be forthcoming.

DO NOT SEND THESE BALLOTS TO ME. Send them to: CHKelsey at live.com.

If you have nominations for the "A Team" -- non-musicians or musicians
who make especially significant marks as "activists, advocates,
altruists, aiders and abbetors of jazz," send them to me directly at Jazzmandel at jazzhouse.org
, with "A Team" in the subject line.

Wednesday, June 17 is is set  for the JJA's annual party-fundraiser
celebrating the 2009 Jazz Awards -- our 13th annual recognition of
excellence in jazz music creation, presentation and documentation.
I'm saying its the Awards' bar mitzvah, in the spirit of jazz
ecumenity being held at the Jazz Standard, which serves the best
barbeque in town (116 E. 27th St., NYC).  Nominees, presenters and
sponsors will be invited to the event as well as JJA members, who as
always are offered specially-priced tickets. Info on how to make
reservations, who's performing etc. will also follow.

If you want to volunteer to do something regarding the Jazz Awards,
please let me know. Fred Jung, JJA board member (OCUndrgrnd at aol.com)
is contemplating a West Coast Jazz Party, and should be contacted with
your offers of volunteer work to help in that endeavor.

This year the JJA has to be especially creative in discovering
sponsors who believe in the value of the Jazz Awards and want to be
associated with it. In past years Jazz Awards sponsors have included
ASCAP, Arthur Barnes, BETJazz, BMI, Boosey and Hawkes, Blue Note
Records, Concord Records, Hot House magazine, Iceberg Vodka, J&R Music
World, the Litchfield Jazz Festival, North Coast Brewing Company
(Brother Thelonious ale), NYC & Company, Verve Records, WBGO-FM,
George Wein and Zenph RePerformance. We seek individuals and companies
whose aims are compatible with the values of the JJA in promoting jazz
of all forms through journalism in all media. Levels of sponsorship
available for the Jazz Awards, and sponsor benefits, will be posted
shortly at Jazzhouse.org. If you think of a firm that would like to
demonstrate its support for jazz and the JJA by becoming a sponsor of
the Jazz Awards, please send me contact information and I'll follow up
with a letter of inquiry.

As JJA members, you can be proud: The Jazz Awards are the ONLY awards
for jazz excellence by journalists who are on reporting on the music
as it occurs, independent of any one publication, commercial or
educational institution. Over the past decade the Jazz Awards have
championed the most accomplished jazz artists, established and
emergent, of our time, raised the public and industry profiles of
writers, broadcasters, photographers, publications, books and
websites. Jazz Awards events have been held in New York  at Lincoln
Center's Alice Tully Hall, South Street Seaport, the Knitting Factory,
Birdland, B.B. King's Blues Club and Grill and the Jazz Standard --
there have also been Jazz Awards events in Los Angeles, the Monterey
Peninsula, Chicago, Washington D.C. and Jerusalem.

Music for Jazz Awards parties has been provided by artists including
Dewey Redman, Jack DeJohnette, Roswell Rudd, Joe Lovano, Hank Jones,
Chano Domingues, Doug Wamble, Richard Boukas with Jovino Santos Neto,
Roy Haynes and Kenny Garrett, Roseanna Vitro with Mark Soskin, the
trio Equal Interest, bands led by Cassandra Wilson, Dave Douglas,
Terence Blanchard, Roy Hargrove,  Sy Johnson, Roberta Picket, Ben
Allison, Ezra Weiss, Nnenna Freelon, Judy Bady, TC III, Igmar Thomas
and the Cipher, Maurice Brown, Bob Reynolds, Quamon Fowle, Sean Jones,
the Kate and Matt Miller Quartet, Bobby Bradford Septet, Freddie
Redd,  the Rodriguez Brothers and Dwight Trible, among others. The
Jazz Awards have been attended by Lionel Hampton, Clark Terry, Marian
McPartland, Ornette Coleman,  Cecil Taylor, Frank Wess, Elvin Jones,
Joe Zawinul, Wayne Shorter, Buddy DeFranco, Phil Woods, Ronnie Cuber,
Henry Grimes, Ron Carter, Andrew Hill, Kahil El'Zabar, Bobby Sanabria,
Dr. Lonnie Smith, Bobby Watson, Tierney Sutton, Judi Silvano, Olu
Dara, Maria Schneider, Jon Faddis, Joe Locke, Ravi Coltrane, Perry
Robinson, Robin Eubanks, Gary Smulyan, Jimmy and Tootie Heath, Matt
Wilson, Miguel Zenon, and many other musicians. Comedians Soupy Sales,
Al Lewis and Dick Gregory, actors Keith David, Avery Brooks and Robert
Wisdom, authors Rupert Holmes, Jayne Cortez and Edgardo Vega Yunqué
have been hosts and presenters. Year-by-year histories of the Jazz
Award and photos from Jazz Awards events, go to Jazzhouse.org and
search "jazz awards."

Spread news of the Jazz Awards to colleagues not currently affiliated
with the JJA who may want to join in order to vote (they must do so by
March 12), to those sponsors you think of, and to everybody else,
because jazz is best promoted by word of mouth. For further
information, contact Howard Mandel, jazzmandel at jazzhouse.org.

thanks -- HM

Howard Mandel
jazzmandel at earthlink.net