[jja-announce] pre-Jazz Awards

howard Mandel jazzmandel at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 15 09:46:58 EDT 2009

Hi JJA members --

Tomorrow the JJA will present our 13th annual Jazz Awards, celebrating
excellence in jazz music, presentation and documentation, with a
cocktail barbeque at the Jazz Standard from 3 to 6 pm. Many JJA
members are attending as presenters (hey, presenters -- look sharp!
Let's put on a show of elegance, sophistication, charm, charisma!),
many musicians are attending as hopeful nominees, sponsors and
supporters will be there -- the music will be great and it's going to
be fun.

As we have had limited national coverage for the Jazz Awards during
our 13 year run, I want to ask you to consider covering the Awards in
some way in your own outlets. The winners of the Awards will be posted
at JazzJournalists.org by 6 pm Tuesday night, and at Jazzhouse.org
too. DL Media will also be sending out news of the winners, as will
JazzPromo Services. I am available for interviews or to put you in
touch with other JJA members involved in the Awards -- ballot chair
Chris Kelsey, for instance -- if you want quotes for your stories.
Photos are more of a problem, but Enid Farber (farberfoto at aol.com)
will post at least one for downloading; we're trying to organize a
second photographer right now.

Thanks to all of you for voting, and for general support of this JJA
initiative. The JJA is in good financial health due to the Awards,
although we are in serious need of members' participation in many
other areas to keep the organization thriving. We have several
interesting plans on the drawing boards, including stronger link with
the Jazz Foundation of America, intentions to get members Flip video
cameras and some instruction so as to create web-ready jazz
journalism, and a major conference on jazz journalism next January in
New York. We will continue to try to improve our online presence
through our websites and with Jazz Notes. We may need a new membership
secretary -- if you are interested in this position, please send me a
note at jazzmandel at earthlink.net. And we intend to hold an online
discussion in July about all these issues and more related to the
JJA's future.

The Jazz Awards have become a significant reflection of who's doing
the best work in jazz now. No poll is perfect and all hierarchies of
"best" are open to criticism -- and that's as it should be. But we can
be proud of having put on these Awards, especially of having
identified movers and shakers with the A Team awards, and we ought to
trumpet them. If you have any questions or concerns, please get back
to me. If you can, please cover the Jazz Awards the ways you think best.

yours, Howard

Howard Mandel
jazzmandel at earthlink.net
phone 212 533 9495