[jja-announce] voting, first round, on Photo Nominees

howard Mandel jazzmandel at earthlink.net
Wed May 6 17:59:48 EDT 2009

Hi All --

By now I hope you've checked out the new www.JazzJournalists.org
website, devoted to the 2009 Jazz Awards (winners to be announce on
Tues., June 16 at the Jazz Standard in NYC, 3 to 6 p.m.) We've just
instituted first round voting on the Jazz Photos of the Year
submissions there, to whittle the field of 30 down to five. Yes, you
get to vote for 5 of the photos. Five, just five, please.

So go see them! You can get to JazzJournalists.org from a  live link
at Jazzhouse.org, or type that URL www.JazzJournalists.org into your
browser to take you there (don't expect to find it if you search "Jazz
Awards" on Google, because it's too young to have any ranking and get
"found" by the search engines yet).

Once you're there, you'll have to register to vote. It's a simple
process. Go to http://www.jazzjournalists.org/user/register to
register your new account. It will require you to make up a username
and a password. There are a couple basic questions (like yr email
address). Then you'll have an account, and can vote.will see new links
appear with a link to the photo gallery and a link to a preliminary
form for just narrowing down the photo nominees. Vote the for the five
submissions you think best -- the five photos getting the most votes
in this round will become finalists, to be voted on again.

Voting for the other Jazz Awards nominations will take place at
Jazzhouse.org, but we don't have that set up yet. This week I hope -
and I'll e-mail again as soon as it happens.

At www.JazzJournalists.org you can see the nominations ballot, you can
see who's performing at the event, you can buy tickets (at the special
JJA members price, $60; we're asking $100 from non-affiliated
individuals). If you plan to attend, please reserve early; there is
limited space and very unlikely to be room if you just show up on June
16 at the Jazz Standard, hoping to slip in. We are seeking ads for the
Jazz Awards program book right now, and sponsors for the Awards -- if
you know individuals and/or companies that would like to participate
in supporting the Jazz Awards, please send them to me, jazzmandel at earthlink.net
, for further info and negotiation.

It's going to be a great 13th (bar-mitvah) Awards year, with music by
Charles Tolliver's Big Band, Jane Bunnett's Spirits of Havana, pianist
Marian Petrescu and guitarist Andreas Öberg, and some surprise guests.
More info as it develops -- for now, go to www.JazzJournalists.org.

best, Howard

Howard Mandel
jazzmandel at earthlink.net