[jja-announce] Jazz Awards voting!

howard Mandel jazzmandel at earthlink.net
Mon May 11 09:46:43 EDT 2009

Dear JJA members -- the time to vote for the JJA Award winners is
now.  We will choose Awards recipients in 42 categories through the
phase of voting on the Awards for musical and journalistic
achievement, and we will select the five finalist nominees from among
the 30 semi-finalists submitted for Photos of the Year.

To vote on the Photo of the Year submissions, to to www.JazzJournalists.org
, see the photos and select up to five choices for finalists. Votes
must be in by Sunday, May 17 at 8 p.m. EDT.

To vote for the musical and journalistic achievement nominees, go to
Jazzhouse.org and follow the instructions to the ballot. Only full
professional members of the JJA may vote (not student or support
members. Voting will end on Sunday, May 24 at 8 pm. EDT.

At JazzJournalists.org, you may also reserve (if you're a finalist
nominee, at no charge) a ticket to the Jazz Awards gala at the Jazz
Standard on Tuesday, June 16, 3 to 6 p.m. Nominees may purchase a
second ticket at the JJA members' price of $60 for the barbeque buffet
with Brother Thelonious ale, music by the Charles Tolliver Big Band,
Jane Bunnett and Spirits of Havana, Resonance Records artists Marian
Petrescu and Andreas Öberg and surprise guests. JJA members may
purchase two tickets at the $60 price. People who aren't members of
the JJA wishing to attend the Jazz Awards may purchase tickets for
$100 each, or contact me for details on sponsorship benefit packages.

Please vote in the 13th annual JJA Jazz Awards. This is our bar
mitzvah year -- the Awards attain maturity, and to do so we want to
see the largest voter turnout in Jazz Awards history. Vote once, and
decisively, for Lifetime Achievement and for musical achievement in
the year April 15 2008 - April 15 2009. Vote, in this round, for the 5
jazz photos submitted by members and colleagues of the JJA that you
think are "best." Voting for those five will take place within the
following week. But get started now, please! --

best, Howard

Howard Mandel
jazzmandel at earthlink.net
phone 212 533 9495