[jja-announce] Mentoring Session Rescheduled

Yvonne Ervin yervin at urbanassembly.org
Thu Sep 17 13:45:53 EDT 2009

Dear fellow JJAers,

We are rescheduling the Urban Assembly Mentoring orientation session for
Thursday, Oct. 1 from 6 to 8 at The New School.  We had a good response
to the mentoring program but we just didn't have the critical mass for
this meeting.

Again, we're organizing a year-long mentoring program for the Urban
Assembly School for Music and Art's 11th and 12th graders interested in
writing about music.  Contact will be, primarily, via email with
gatherings of all the  mentors and mentees at an evening  music event in
November, January  (around the JJA conference),  March and June.    The
mentees will write  reviews with the help of their mentors and we'll
have a special  section on jazzhouse.org to post their work.  We have a
curriculum to guide your interaction with the mentees via email. We're
checking to see if they would also like some photography mentors.

The students are predominately (96%) African American and Hispanic and
come from the poorest neighborhoods in NYC. But 90% of them get accepted
into college. Most of them just need a caring person in a profession
that interests them to give them that push into college toward a
brighter future for them and their families.  Our goal is to break the
cycle of poverty in NYC.

Please let me know if you're interested.

Yvonne

Yvonne Ervin

Director of Development

The Urban Assembly