[jja-announce] announcing the JJA's new members' site

howard Mandel jazzmandel at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 15 01:44:06 EDT 2010

GREAT NEWS: The JJA's new Member Site/Office is now open! Help us move
into this new online office.
ACTION POINT:  If you are or were a JJA Member -- whatever your
current status -- and you want to stay on the JJA membership rolls,
you MUST login to the site, update your record and complete your
membership profile.
You can go to the site right now and follow the login instructions
http://members.jazzjournalists.org

(NOTE: there's no "www." in this url; http://jja.camp8.org may
sometimes appear as an alternate URL that gets you to the same place.)
BENEFITS: the new site will allow us to:
*Create searchable JJA Member Directories -- one public, one viewable
only to fellow JJA members; you customize them both;
*Determine eligibility for member discounts, Awards voting, etc. -- if
you are not shown as an active, paid-up member on the site, you won't
get member benefits, so check your status now and please renew
(reactivate) your membership if you are shown as "lapsed". Notify us
if you believe the status shown is incorrect.
* Administer most JJA email lists --this one will soon be defunct. So
if your correct address isn't in the new "office files" we won't be
able to contact you.
*Administer all JJA Member records-- All JJA member applications and
renewals will now be made and processed online; we strongly urge you
to pay online as well.
*Send out automatic membership renewal reminders -- starting two
months before your renewal is due;  if you haven't renewed by 45 days
after your due date, your JJA membership will automatically lapse and
you'll lose member benefits.
*More easily create special interest or geographical groups for
organizing events, etc.
AGAIN: You can go to the site right now and follow the login
instructions
http://members.jazzjournalists.org     ( there's NO "www")
If you can't visit the site immediately, or when you visit you can't
log in despite following the instructions on the site, LOOK FOR
ANOTHER EMAIL COMING FROM THE SITE IN THE NEXT FEW DAYS.
If you DON'T get THAT email, it means we didn't  transfer your contact
information properly, or there is some other problem. So please write admin at jazzjournalists.org
   We don't want to lose you in the transition!
When you DO get the email, if you haven't done so already, please go
to the new site and LOG IN as soon as possible to check and update
your Member Profile. We want to start publicizing the Member Directory
to the public as soon as possible so you can benefit from being
included. But we can't do so until a "critical mass" of members have
filled out their profiles.
This change has been a long time coming and the JJA administration is
really excited about it. It should help us greatly improve our
recordkeeping and communications with you.
The JJA has never had a paid office staff (or even a physical office)
-- which has contributed to making past record-keeping less than
perfect. We've worked hard to fill in the gaps as we made the move to
the new online system -- but there are likely still errors we didn't
catch. Please help us find and fix them now. Log in, view your own
record, correct and update it. Any changes you make in your profile
will automatically be made in our administrative records. You don't
need to notify us  except if you can't login at all or your Membership
level or payment status is shown incorrectly. You can't change those
yourself.
Finally, we know the "office" website itself still needs a lot of
tweaking and editing. Send all comments including suggestions for
improving the user instructions or the contents of the site to: admin at jazzjournalists.org
  and president at jazzjournalists.org.
thanks,
President Howard