[members-announce] Freddie Cole, New JIC Club Tour, Buddy Hughes, Dick Rath's yacht, reviews, more

Paul Baker paulb at webitects.com
Mon Aug 11 10:53:34 EDT 2003

AUGUST ON THE JAZZ INSTITUTE OF CHICAGO WEBSITE

Come to http://www.jazzinstituteofchicago.org
to read the stories below.
(If you don't see a link, type the above address into your browser.)

(Cadenza is on vacation until September)

---------------------
"My Boys Don't Drink Or Smoke"-Lester Lanin
A musican adventure in the Apple

"One day in the Fall of 1960, I got a phone call from bassist Whitey
Mitchell. 'You working this Saturday?' he asked me. I answered I
was-with a Lanin band booked into a gig out on Long Island somewhere.
'No,' he told me, 'you're taking my place on Lester's 'A' band.' I said
I was already committed to the gig I'd been booked on, but he said not
to worry, the office would find someone to replace me on that band."
-by Joe Levinson

---------------------
This year's Chicago Jazz Festival lineup

"Highlights include a tribute to Bill Russo, Sheila Jordon, The Dave
Holland Big Band, Ira Sullivan, Jane Bunnett, Ken Vandermark, Freddy
Cole, Elvin Jones, Karrin Allison, and the McCoy Tyner Big Band."

Club tour lineup (Wednesday before the Fest)

"There are 13 stops on the tour this year. Musicians include Henry
Johnson, Damon Short, Bill Porter, Phil Guy, Ray Silkman, Bobby Lewis,
Kurt Elling, Ira Sullivan, Ken Saydak, Chris Winters, Paulhino Gracia,
Doug Rosenberg, Joe Hurt, and Alfonso Ponticelli."

---------------------
News from the trenches

"A few words, if you'll indulge me, about a few of the recently
departed-Lenny Pirani, Rick Levy, and Steve Barra. Lenny Pirani, a
pianist who left us about a month a half ago, was from the bebop
generation. He treated jazz as art music and didn't have much truck with
'pop' music or the appurtenances that go along with it. . ."
-by Steve Hashimoto

---------------------
Classic Sarah Vaughn

"Of all the sounds in jazz, the vocal is the most accessible because it
contains within it the potential to be more readily understood by a
wider audience than its instrumental counterparts because of its
'storytelling' privilege. It is hardly surprising, therefore, that most
jazz vocalists have at some point in their careers either succumbed or
have been importuned into distinctly non-jazz environments with songs
and arrangements designed for the widest possible appeal. This is
certainly true of the career of Sarah Vaughan whose discography and
curriculum vitae betray no single, exclusive commitment to jazz."
-by Stuart Nicholson

---------------------
Bass Lines: A Life in Jazz

"Bass player Coleridge Goode has proven himself to be one of the most
open-minded jazz musicians, as this biography, and the names he's worked
with over the years testify. . . This account of Goode's life reveals an
individual with a tendency to underplay his own role in the music. That
said, his self-effacement has the effect of revealing more starkly the
personalities of the musicians he's worked with, not the least of them
being the alto sax player, band leader, and Goode's fellow West Indian,
Joe Harriott, whose quintet has assumed apostolic proportions regarding
the evolution of free jazz in Europe."
-by Nic Jones

---------------------
Elvin Jones at Yoshi's, April 2003

"Elvin Jones brought his Jazz Machine to Yoshi's in Oakland for six
nights of shows starting Tuesday, April 15. I figured as long as I was
there to catch some of the SF Jazz Spring Season, I might as well avail
myself of a chance to hear a band whose music I hadn't heard in a long
time. On the strength of the personnel listed on Yoshi's
website-including Mark Shim on tenor saxophone and Delfayo Marsalis on
trombone-I asked a friend to reserve seats for Friday's first set.
[Jones will perform at the Jazz Fest this year.]"
-by Rahsaan Clark Morris

---------------------
A Father and a King

"In New England in the '50s and New York in the '60s, a familiar figure
on the scene, on the airwaves, in the jazz press, and at jazz events was
Father Norman J. O'Connor, the 'jazz priest,' who died June 29, 2003.
Born in 1921 and educated in Detroit, where he played piano with local
jazz bands, he had abandoned music as a career by the time he enrolled
at Catholic University but wrote his doctoral thesis on the aesthetics
of popular music."
-By Sue Markle

---------------------
Chicago CD Reviews

New releases by Deanna Witkowski; Anthony Molinaro and Howard Levy; The
Jim Gaillorreto Quintet; Jeff Parker, Bernard Santacruz, and Michael
Zerang; and Brian O'Hern and the Model Citizens Big Band.
-by Marshall Vente and Alain Drouot

---------------------
Starting Monday, August 4th, listeners on Chicago's south side and
southern suburbs, and in northwestern Indiana, will be able to hear two
more hours of Miles Ahead, hosted by Mark Ruffin. Mark's segment will
begin at 2 p.m., on AM 1470 (WCFJ). Neil Tesser will continue three
hours of drive-time jazz, 4-7 p.m. on AM 1470, and 5-7 p.m. on AM 1470
and AM 1240 (WSBC). The show airs Monday-Friday.

---------------------
FROM RECENT ISSUES

Conversation with Freddie Cole

"I was getting into music and I was appearing at the Capitol Lounge,
downtown. in 1952. I had a little hit record, 'The Jokes On Me.' Later I
went out with Al Smith's band and we played Flint and Saginaw Michigan.
We also did some things on the bill with Ruth Brown. From playing on
that gig with Al Smith, I got a job with Ruth Brown. This was in either
1952 or 1953. I went out on the road with Ruth. Her record hit, at that
time was 'Mama, He Treats Your Daughter Mean.'"-by Charles Walton

---------------------
Buddy Hughes remembers: the Claude Thornhill Orchestra

"The Hotel Pennsylvania was the first major stop in the unveiling of the
new post World War II Claude Thornhill Orchestra. . . .My having been
overseas in the service for three years (1942-45) and in the service
since 1941, I was not aware that the original Thornhill band had been
disbanded and Claude had gone into the service. I heard an occasional
record of Thornhill while I traveled with a Minnesota territory band
called Bennett-Greten, but the airwaves were full of great bands
broadcasting nightly and we enjoyed them all so much."
-by Bob Knack

---------------------
Myself Among Others: A Life In Music-autobiography of George Wein

"George Wein is probably the best-known name in jazz promotion in the
world. Born in Newton, Massachusetts, in 1925 to a Jewish family, his
musical career began as a kid, with liberal parents who took him to
musical events, a mother who played the piano, and a father who was a
medical doctor and a lover of jazz. His piano skills were good enough to
front a high school jazz band."
-reviewed by Terence M. Ripmaster

Come to http://www.jazzinstituteofchicago.org
to read these stories.
(If you don't see a link, type or copy the above address into your
browser.)

We're always looking for good jazz-related articles.
Send us an email if you'd like to write something.

Paul Baker, Editor
paulb at webitects.com