[members-announce] MEDIA ADVISORY - AB BAARS TRIO

Ron Sweetman ronsweetman at canada.com
Tue Aug 12 17:18:17 EDT 2003

For immediate release

DUTCH REED PLAYER AB BAARS WILL BE FALL JAZZ HIGHLIGHT

Ottawa, August 12, 2003.   On Monday, October 27, veteran Dutch clarinetist
and saxophonist Ab Baars will bring his trio to the Mercury Lounge in
Ottawa as part of their extensive fall tour of North America. The trio,
featuring bassist Wilbert de Joode and drummer Martin van Duynhoven, is one
of the leading bands on the vital improvised music scene in Holland.

"I relate my trio to modern chamber music in a way," Baars has said. "I try
to write material that is easy for the musicians to understand, but has a
lot of things in it they can develop."

Baars, 47, is best known in Ottawa for his role in the Instant Composers
Pool Orchestra, which delighted a large audience here last spring.
Influenced by Eric Dolphy and John Carter, Baars has recorded several
albums, including this year's set of duets, Veer And Haul. The trio's
latest recording is the 2001 release, Songs, on the Geest Gronden label.

The Ottawa performance of the Ab Baars Trio is a co-presentation of the
Mercury Lounge, Music Now, in collaboration with the Royal Netherlands Embassy.

The Mercury Lounge is located upstairs at 56 ByWard Market.

For review CDs, photographs, or to arrange an interview, contact:

Ron Sweetman
Music Now
730-2083
ronsweetman at canada.com