[members-announce] Fats Waller series on BBC Radio 3

Alyn Shipton ashipton@patrol.i-way.co.uk
Tue, 25 Feb 03 16:12:07 +0000

Despite the imminent disappearance of Jazzmatazz from the BBC World
Service, I've got a new 4-part series on Fats Waller starting on BBC
Radio 3 (www.bbc.co.uk/radio3) in the Jazz File slot this Saturday March
1st at 6pm UK time. You can hear each programme for a week after
transmission by logging on to the website's listen on demand facility. If
you've not been put off my take on Waller by the snippy review of the bio
in Jazz Notes, then this series might be of interest. It includes some
rare archival material (including in a later programme my 1986 interview
with Waller drummer Harry Dial) and the guest artist throughout all four
shows is Butch Thompson, demonstrating the nuances of the stride style
and producing uncanny recreations of the Lion, Eubie and Fats himself.

Alyn Shipton