[members-announce] south carolina musicians

Jack McCray jmccray@postandcourier.com
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 14:53:17 -0400

I am seeking information on jazz musicans from South Carolina, especially
past, with connections to American and European metropolitan areas. Dr.
Karen Chandler, director of the Avery Research Center on African American
History and Culture, and I have partnered to investigate the impact of South
Carolina musicians, especially Charlestonians such as Willie Smith, Francis
Eugene Mikell, Freddie Green, Cat Anderson, Tommy Benford, et. al. from the
Jenkins Orphanage and the Avery Institute.

I am jazz editor with the Post and Courier daily newspaper in Charleston,
S.C. We are interested in finding out  as much as we can in order that the
knowledge base of jazz will be more complete.

I can be reached at (843) 937-5519 or jmccray@postandcourier.com.

Jack McCray