[members-announce] Latin Music In The Classroom

LatinJazzClub info at latinjazzclub.com
Thu Jul 31 19:24:00 EDT 2003

Latin Music In The Classroom

LatinSheetMusic.com in concert with LatinJazzClub.com proudly present the first annual International Latin Music Essay Writing Contest.

If you're a music educator or English writing instructor currently teaching at a high school level (grades 6-12) or college, you can help further expose your students to the wonderfull universal language of Latin music by joining our initiative to educate the young generation on everything Latin sound and rhythm.

Throughout most of the 20th Century, music has evolved and branched out into many popular styles like Jazz, Mambo, Rock 'n Roll, Country, Hip Hop, classical music and many others. And throughout this contemporary evolution of music, Latin rhythm has been in some instances to a larger degree than others, influencial in the creation of such styles particularly in the United States.

There are many examples of the influence of Latin rhythm on popular music included in the repertoire of notable artists as Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, The Rolling Stones, Elvis Presley, The Beatles, Chic Correa, Tupoc, Michael Jackson, just to name a few. Moreover, Latin rhythm has influenced whole cultures apparent in fashion, from Broadway musicals to movies on the small and big screen, national dance crazes, popular foods, etc.

Latin music is blessed with thousands of recordings that will no doubt endure throughout this Century and beyond. But most importantly, to ensure longevity as well as honoring the memory of pioneer musicians like Tito Puente, Celia Cruz, Mario Bauza, Chico O'Farrill, Tom Jobim, Dizzy Guilespie and countless others who where involved in the creation and evolution of Latin music, this education must be made available to the younger generation.

One of our goals is to establish a consortium of educators worldwide that are interested in Latin music in the classroom. And together, start building a standard international classroom educational curriculum for Latin music that could be implemented within any music program.

>From salsa, Latin Jazz and every Latin music style from all corners of the Caribbean and Latin Central/South America, LatinSheetMusic.com is a specialty boutique for custom Latin music arrangements and transcriptions made to order for all kinds of bands and orchestras.

A giant literary cyber-emporium of related music news, articles, interviews, CD reviews and information, LatinJazzClub is a virtual on-line magazine dedicated to the advancement, education and historical preservation of Latin Jazz.

For additional information on the first annual International Latin Music Essay Writing Contest, visit www.LatinSheetMusic.com.