[members-announce] Jeremy Pelt Quartet w/strings - Live at 5pm! Friday, 11/21

PHAIRELADY at aol.com PHAIRELADY at aol.com
Thu Nov 20 19:37:34 EST 2003

We would like to extend a very special VIP invitation to you to attend a live performance/interview of The Jeremy Pelt Quartet w/strings (The Sirius String Quartet) at Sirius Satellite Radio on Friday, November 21, 2003.  Sirius is located at: 1221 Avenue of the Americas (48th & 49th), New York, NY 10020.   The broadcast begins promptly at 5:00 PM and guests are asked to arrive between 4:30-4:45 PM.  Please RSVP if you plan to attend, as we have less than a handful of seats available.
Jeremy has three cds as a leader and appears on over two dozen recordings as a sideman, including Wayne Shorter's 2003 disc "Alegria".  Pelt has signed a multi-cd contract with MaxJazz and just released "Close To My Heart," his debut for the label which is a ballads disc featuring strings. Have a look and listen at: http://maxjazz.com/pelt/card/pelt.html.   The disc debuted at # 30 on the JazzWeek charts.  In four short weeks, it has climbed into the top 10 and continues to be extremely well received by audiences and critics alike.
Also, please feel free to browse Jeremy's website at: www.PeltJazz.com for additional information.
Best regards,
Chantal
Chantal PhairePhairelady Management Services20 West 20th Street, 2nd Floor New York, NY 10011-4213Direct Phone: (212) 822-8590Private Fax: (646) 349-2976
Phairelady Management Services represents: Kirk LIGHTSEY, Ralph PETERSON Jr., JoAnne BRACKEEN, Denise JANNAH, Jeremy PELT and Amina FIGAROVA
* CD Release *
Contact: Jana La Sorte
(718) 246-4087
jana at janlynpr.com
The hot new trumpeter has musical personality that fits his instrument: intrepid, convincing, resolute. The modern hard bop that crackles…has the kind of  vehemence and clarity that make people turn their heads. Village Voice
Jeremy Pelt Continues to Impress With MAXJAZZ Debut, Close To My Heart
* * *
Pelt tops industry award nominations
Jeremy Pelt has big chops, great stage presence and enormous talent for composing and playing.  He’s one of those rare young performers who seems like he’s been around a very long time, because he loves what he’s doing and is very comfortable doing it.   Moreover, he is all about being himself.
The jazz industry is well aware of this and has recognized him in many ways.  This year Pelt topped the 2003 DownBeat Magazine Annual Critics Poll awards for Rising Star on Trumpet, and the Jazz Journalist Association selected him as one of the Best Emerging Stars in Jazz.   He’s won the ASCAP Young Composers Award and has performed with an impressive list of music luminaries including: Jimmy Heath; Nancy Wilson; Jimmy Cobb; Wayne Shorter; Louis Hayes; Frank Foster; Bobby “Blue” Bland; Lewis Nash; Bobby Short; Keter Betts; Charlie Persip; Gary Bartz; Frank Lacy; the Village Vanguard Orchestra; and bands honoring Cannonball Adderley and Duke Ellington.
Pelt can play anything well, from standards to straight-ahead classic jazz to the more contemporary and avant-garde, which is why he’s also gotten the call to play with exploratory jazz performers such as Ravi Coltrane; Roy Hargrove; Ralph Peterson; The Skatalites; Ron Blake; Cassandra Wilson; Lonnie Plaxico; Rene Marié; Greg Osby; Soulive; and the Mingus Big Band.   He also plays regularly with fellow young rising stars Marcus Strickland, Robert Glasper and Wayne Escoffery.  In his mid-20s, Pelt has already toured the U.S., Ireland, France, Spain, Amsterdam, Switzerland, Japan, Virgin Islands, Brazil and Great Britain with his trumpet.
Now Pelt debuts on the new MAXJAZZ Horn Series with Close To My Heart (September 23, 2003) featuring a powerful trio: labelmate Mulgrew Miller, Peter Washington and Lewis Nash.  A ballads-driven album of standards featuring strings, Close To My Heart is a bit unusual for him.   Pelt explains:
I felt it was time to go back and honor the standards that really drew me into jazz.  Growing up, my mom played Billie Holiday and Dinah Washington a lot and before long, those songs became a part of me too. In high school, I mostly listened to instrumentalists like John Coltrane and Lee Morgan, but when I was in Bobby Short’s band, I rediscovered my early love of emotional ballads.   This album honors that.
Pelt believes he has a responsibility as a young musician to uphold tradition first and then work to explore new avenues for expression in jazz.  With Close To My Heart, it seems he has accomplished both aims.  His use of the strings adds texture and lushness on “Weird Nightmare,” which opens the CD.   “Excerent” begins in a loose bebop manner, while “Take Me In Your Arms” is a fast-driving showcase for Pelt’s talent.  Miller’s piano slows us down on “502 Blues,” leading into a beautiful muted turn from Pelt.  “All My Life” comes across like a classic film score in how well it evokes imagery and emotion.   Pelt’s horn pleads with the listener on “Don’t You Know I Care,” and then commands on “Pioggia di Perugia.”  “It’s a Beautiful Evening” is spare and elegant.  “This Is The Moment” enchants with its opening guitar solo and Pelt’s response.   “Why Try To Change Me Now” is poignant and “In Your Eyes” is heartfelt. The strings players are: Meg Okura, violin; Joyce Hammann, violin; Ron Lawrence, viola; Dave Eggar, cello; and David O’Rourke on guitar.  O’Rourke also acted as string arranger and conductor.
About the Artist
Born in California in 1976, Pelt started playing the trumpet while still in elementary school.  At first, he played strictly classical but once in high school, he joined the school jazz band and was hooked.  After high school, he moved to the east coast to attend Berklee College of Music in Boston, where he studied film scoring in the day and cut his teeth playing at local clubs at night.
After graduating from Berklee in 1998, he moved to New York and quickly began playing with many distinguished artists.  Profile, his debut CD as a leader, followed soon thereafter and commanded attention for his stellar performance and high-energy playing, as well as for his catchy original compositions.   His 2nd CD, Insight, also featured mostly original compositions, a rarity for such a young musician.  Pelt has appeared on over 20 recordings as a sideman and also calls upon his musical training and experience as an educator at The New School University in New York City.   He cites his main influences on the trumpet as Freddie Hubbard, Lee Morgan, Booker Little, Miles Davis and Donald Byrd and adds that Wayne Shorter, Ornette Coleman, Terence Blanchard and Kenny Cox are important compositional role models too.
www.peltjazz.com / www.maxjazz.com
Pelt's got a big and hearty sound, and he presents it with a rounded assurance and technical control, which means power and polish…                                  Jazz Review UK
There's a mountain of potential to be found in trumpeter Jeremy Pelt...        DownBeat
ALL ABOUT JAZZ
Close To My Heart

Jeremy Pelt | MaxJazz

There's been a noble tradition of young jazz trumpeters recording with strings – think of Clifford Brown and Chet Baker – and 27 year old Jeremy Pelt puts his very individual spin on this tradition with the release of Close to My Heart, his third album. He shares some affinities with Clifford Brown: a bright crisp tone, a showstopping virtuosity in improvising, and a soft spot in his heart for romantic standards. But Pelt balances his sentimentality with a rigorous sense of tightly structured solos and a penchant for choosing adventurously unlikely tunes to practice his romantic sensibility.
For example, this disc opens amazingly with a cover of Mingus's "Weird Nightmare," not exactly the expected placid fare for a trumpet-with-strings project. The small string section, essentially a classical string quartet augmented with guitar, is gorgeously arranged by David O'Rourke not to sweeten the Mingus tune but to actually make it sound more nightmarishly beautiful. The strings create a spacious and complex tapestry which meshes effectively with Pelt's meaty solos.
Pelt is a thinking player who digs into Ellington's "Don't You Know I Care" and Frank Loesser's "In Your Eyes" and consistently manages to come up with fresh ideas. He also intelligently plays off openings offered by pianist Mulgrew Miller, bassist Peter Washington, and particularly drummer Lewish Nash. Nash puts an extra bit of push into slow numbers that contributes to a sense of edgy romantic odyssey rather than romantic sightseeing. Close to My Heart solidifies Pelt's reputation as a major contemporary trumpeter with a imaginatively questing spirit and chops to match.
~ Norman Weinstein