[members-announce] Jeremy Pelt cd release party tonight (10/2) - Correction tickets $15

PHAIRELADY at aol.com PHAIRELADY at aol.com
Thu Oct 2 14:54:33 EDT 2003

Please note: tickets for Jeremy Pelt's cd release party at the Jazz Standard
are $15 each instead of $20 as initially noted.
Jeremy Pelt (2003 Down Beat Critic's poll winner for "Rising Star Trumpeter"
and JJA "Up 'n Coming Musician of the Year" nominee) will be celebrating the
release of his third cd as a leader, and debut recording for MaxJazz on
Thursday, October 2, 2003 at the Jazz Standard.
We would like to thank you for your support and would love to see you if your
schedule allows.
The street date for the release was yesterday, September 23, 2003.  Listening
to tracks 1 - Weird Nightmare (quartet w/string quartet), 3 - Take Me In Your
Arms (quartet), 6 - Don't You Know I Care (solo flugelhorn), 9 - This Is The
Moment (trumpet duo w/guitar) and 11 - In Your Eyes (flugelhorn w/string
quartet only) will give you a good representation of the recording.
 Best regards,
 Chantal
Chantal Phaire
Phairelady Management Services
20 West 20th Street, 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10011-4213
Direct Phone: (212) 822-8590
Private Fax: (646) 349-2976

Phairelady Management Services represents: Kirk LIGHTSEY, Ralph PETERSON Jr.,
JoAnne BRACKEEN, Denise JANNAH, Jeremy PELT and Amina FIGAROVA
JEREMY PELT CD RELEASE
WHO: The Jeremy Pelt Quartet w/strings (David O'Rourke + The Sirius String
Quartet)
MUSICIANS:

Jeremy Pelt (trumpet, flugelhorn)

Danny Grissett (piano)

Josh Ginsburg (bass)

Willie Jones III (drums)

David O'Rourke (guitar + string arranger & conductor)

THE SIRIUS STRING QUARTET:

Ron Lawrence (viola)

Dave Eggar (cello)

Meg Okura (violin)

Gregor Huebner (violin II)

WHAT: CD release party for "Close To My Heart"
 WHERE: The Jazz Standard, 116 E. 27th St. (between Park & Lex), 10016
 WHEN: Thursday, October 2, 2003 - Set times are: 7:30pm and 9:30 pm
 HOW: Reservations - (212) 576-2232, Tickets: $15

Here is a press release and cd review:

* CD Release *
Contact: Jana La Sorte
(718) 246-4087
jana at janlynpr.com
The hot new trumpeter has musical personality that fits his instrument:
intrepid, convincing, resolute. The modern hard bop that crackles…has the kind of
vehemence and clarity that make people turn their heads. Village Voice
Jeremy Pelt Continues to Impress With
MAXJAZZ Debut, Close To My Heart
 * * *
Pelt tops industry award nominations
Jeremy Pelt has big chops, great stage presence and enormous talent for
composing and playing.  He’s one of those rare young performers who seems like he’
s been around a very long time, because he loves what he’s doing and is very
comfortable doing it.  Moreover, he is all about being himself.
The jazz industry is well aware of this and has recognized him in many ways.
This year Pelt topped the 2003 DownBeat Magazine Annual Critics Poll awards
for Rising Star on Trumpet, and the Jazz Journalist Association selected him as
one of the Best Emerging Stars in Jazz.  He’s won the ASCAP Young Composers
Award and has performed with an impressive list of music luminaries including:
Jimmy Heath; Nancy Wilson; Jimmy Cobb; Wayne Shorter; Louis Hayes; Frank
Foster; Bobby “Blue” Bland; Lewis Nash; Bobby Short; Keter Betts; Charlie Persip;
Gary Bartz; Frank Lacy; the Village Vanguard Orchestra; and bands honoring
Cannonball Adderley and Duke Ellington.
Pelt can play anything well, from standards to straight-ahead classic jazz to
the more contemporary and avant-garde, which is why he’s also gotten the call
to play with exploratory jazz performers such as Ravi Coltrane; Roy Hargrove;
Ralph Peterson; The Skatalites; Ron Blake; Cassandra Wilson; Lonnie Plaxico;
Rene Marié; Greg Osby; Soulive; and the Mingus Big Band.  He also plays
regularly with fellow young rising stars Marcus Strickland, Robert Glasper and Wayne
Escoffery.  In his mid-20s, Pelt has already toured the U.S., Ireland,
France, Spain, Amsterdam, Switzerland, Japan, Virgin Islands, Brazil and Great
Britain with his trumpet.
Now Pelt debuts on the new MAXJAZZ Horn Series with Close To My Heart
(September 23, 2003) featuring a powerful: labelmate Mulgrew Miller, Peter Washington
and Lewis Nash.  A ballads-driven album of standards featuring strings, Close
To My Heart is a bit unusual for him.  Pelt explains:
 I felt it was time to go back and honor the standards that really drew me
into jazz.  Growing up, my mom played Billie Holiday and Dinah Washington a lot
and before long, those songs became a part of me too. In high school, I mostly
listened to instrumentalists like John Coltrane and Lee Morgan, but when I
was in Bobby Short’s band, I rediscovered my early love of emotional ballads.
This album honors that.
Pelt believes he has a responsibility as a young musician to uphold tradition
first and then work to explore new avenues for expression in jazz.  With
Close To My Heart, it seems he has accomplished both aims.  His use of the strings
adds texture and lushness on “Weird Nightmare,” which opens the CD.  “
Excerent” begins in a loose bebop manner, while “Take Me In Your Arms” is a
fast-driving showcase for Pelt’s talent.  Miller’s piano slows us down on “502 Blues,
” leading into a beautiful muted turn from Pelt.  “All My Life” comes across
like a classic film score in how well it evokes imagery and emotion.  Pelt’s
horn pleads with the listener on “Don’t You Know I Care,” and then commands
on “Pioggia di Perugia.”  “It’s a Beautiful Evening” is spare and elegant.  “
This Is The Moment” enchants with its opening guitar solo and Pelt’s
response.  “Why Try To Change Me Now” is poignant and “In Your Eyes” is heartfelt.
The strings players are: Meg Okura, violin; Joyce Hammann, violin; Ron
Lawrence, viola; Dave Eggar, cello; and David O’Rourke on guitar.  O’Rourke also
acted as string arranger and conductor.
About the Artist
Born in California in 1976, Pelt started playing the trumpet while still in
elementary school.  At first, he played strictly classical but once in high
school, he joined the school jazz band and was hooked.  After high school, he
moved to the east coast to attend Berklee College of Music in Boston, where he
studied film scoring in the day and cut his teeth playing at local clubs at
night.
 After graduating from Berklee in 1998, he moved to New York and quickly
began playing with many distinguished artists.  Profile, his debut CD as a leader,
followed soon thereafter and commanded attention for his stellar performance
and high-energy playing, as well as for his catchy original compositions.  His
2nd CD, Insight, also featured mostly original compositions, a rarity for
such a young musician.  Pelt has appeared on over 20 recordings as a sideman and
also calls upon his musical training and experience as an educator at The New
School University in New York City.  He cites his main influences on the
trumpet as Freddie Hubbard, Lee Morgan, Booker Little, Miles Davis and Donald Byrd
and adds that Wayne Shorter, Ornette Coleman, Terence Blanchard and Kenny Cox
are important compositional role models too.
www.peltjazz.com / www.maxjazz.com
Pelt's got a big and hearty sound, and he presents it with a rounded
assurance and technical control, which means power and polish…
                 Jazz Review UK
 There's a mountain of potential to be found in trumpeter Jeremy Pelt...
  DownBeat
ALL ABOUT JAZZ
 Close To My Heart
Jeremy Pelt | MaxJazz

There's been a noble tradition of young jazz trumpeters recording with
strings – think of Clifford Brown and Chet Baker – and 27 year old Jeremy Pelt puts
his very individual spin on this tradition with the release of Close to My
Heart, his third album. He shares some affinities with Clifford Brown: a bright
crisp tone, a showstopping virtuosity in improvising, and a soft spot in his
heart for romantic standards. But Pelt balances his sentimentality with a
rigorous sense of tightly structured solos and a penchant for choosing
adventurously unlikely tunes to practice his romantic sensibility.
For example, this disc opens amazingly with a cover of Mingus's "Weird
Nightmare," not exactly the expected placid fare for a trumpet-with-strings project.
The small string section, essentially a classical string quartet augmented
with guitar, is gorgeously arranged by David O'Rourke not to sweeten the Mingus
tune but to actually make it sound more nightmarishly beautiful. The strings
create a spacious and complex tapestry which meshes effectively with Pelt's
meaty solos.
Pelt is a thinking player who digs into Ellington's "Don't You Know I Care"
and Frank Loesser's "In Your Eyes" and consistently manages to come up with
fresh ideas. He also intelligently plays off openings offered by pianist Mulgrew
Miller, bassist Peter washington, and particularly drummer Lewish Nash. Nash
puts an extra bit of push into slow numbers that contributes to a sense of edgy
romantic odyssey rather than romantic sightseeing. Close to My Heart
solidifies Pelt's reputation as a major contemporary trumpeter with a imaginatively
questing spirit and chops to match.
~ Norman Weinstein