[members-announce] CKCU's FUNDING DRIVE

Ron Sweetman ronsweetman at canada.com
Thu Oct 16 12:24:00 EDT 2003

RON SWEETMAN
20 Osborne Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1S 4Z9
Phone: (613) 730-2083 /  Fax: (613) 730-1818
E-Mail:  ronsweetman at canada.com
October 16, 2003

Dear Media Friend,

I am writing to ask if you would consider mentioning the Annual Funding
Drive for financing alternative/community radio at CKCU-FM 93.1 in Ottawa.
CKCU provides at least five unique and valuable services to the community:
(1)     We present a whole range of alternative music that you'll never
find on commercial radio, presented by people with passion and authority.
Our jazz and blues and country music programming covers the whole history
of these musics, is presented by acknowledged experts in each area, and
rejects a fashionable or commercial "Top 40" approach.

(2)     We provide a voice and a community billboard for many of the
communities that make up our population; we have regular Afghanistani,
African, Asian, Caribbean, Celtic, Christian, Croatian, Filipino, Haitian,
Hindi, Indian, Islamic, Jewish, Latin American, Lebanese, Persian, Polish,
Somali, Spanish, Tamil, Urdu and Vietnamese programming.

(3)     We give an independent point of view on political and community
affairs, as we are not owned by a large profit-oriented corporation, and
our volunteers reflect the diverse communities they come from.

(4)     We bring you the renowned BBC World news twenty times a week;
respected internationally for its independence and broad coverage.

(5) We support local musicians by airing their CDs and publicizing their gigs.
      They don't have to be a big name to get heard on CKCU!

As the former Treasurer and Chairman, I can assure you that CKCU has a
bare-bones budget. Because most of us are volunteers, we are able to
produce/present first-class radio at a cost of approximately $40.00 per
hour!  We have three revenue sources:

A levy paid by the students of Carleton University
         Income from companies who sponsor particular programs
         The community of listeners and musicians.

Our community Funding Drive runs this year from Friday October 24 until
Sunday November 9. Your readers/listeners can Dial and Donate at 520-3920
or 1-877-520-3920. They can complete a Pledge form if they've received one
in the mail. They can pledge by E-mail at www.ckcufm.com. However they
pledge, they will receive a tax receipt for donations over $25.00, as we
are a registered charity.

As one example of the unique sounds you can hear on CKCU, I am attaching
the current schedule for my show "In A Mellow Tone" which airs every
Wednesday from 9:00pm to 11:00pm on CKCU 93.1 in Ottawa [and around the
world on the Internet at http://www.ckcufm.com/audio.html].

Please see if you can make just one mention of CKCU's Funding Drive. It's
your community and your radio station!

With my sincere thanks for anything you can do,

Ron Sweetman.