[members-announce] IN A MELLOW TONE

Ron Sweetman ronsweetman at canada.com
Sat Jan 3 10:55:51 EST 2004

Hi Walt:

Let's hope this third attempt is the lucky one!

Here's what we plan to inflict on our loyal listeners worldwide during the
first four months of 2004.

Ron.

IN A MELLOW TONE

January 7 Listen Before You Buy: The cream of the crop of recent
jazz releases, including Flutology, Russell Gunn, Lee Konitz & Makoto Ozone.

January 14 Delmark: Our second program celebrating the fiftieth
anniversary of this great jazz and blues label. Tonight, recordings by
Josh Abrams, Fred Anderson, Billy Bang, Anthony Braxton, Jimmy Burns,
Dave Clark, Ernest Dawkins, Kahil El Zabar, Johnny B. Moore, Jeff Parker,
Malachi Thompson and Big Joe Williams.

January 21 Gerry Hemingway: Our third and final program on this
fine percussionist, composer and bandleader. Tonight we hear Gerry as
leader of
quartets and quintets including Ray Anderson, Mark Dresser, Robin Eubanks,
Mark
Helias, Michael Moore, David Mott, Ernst Reijseger and Wolter Wierbos.

January 28 Rudy Van Gelder: The recording master has restored and
reissued some of his famous Blue Note recordings by Jackie McLean, Bud Powell,
Sonny Rollins, Horace Silver, etc.

February 4 Listen Before You Buy: Ron reviews recent jazz releases
by Joelle Leandre, Quartango, Andrea Sanchez, Springer & Ducommon,
Jill Townsend, Michael Weiss and others.

February 11 Norwegian Jazz: Our initial survey will include
Frode Gjerstad, Rowland Greenberg, Karin Krog and Robert Normann and other
historical and contemporary Norwegian jazz musicians.

February 18 Delmark: Our third program celebrating the fiftieth
anniversary of this great jazz and blues label, whose distinguished roster
includes Luther Allison, Fred Anderson, Sleepy John Estes, J. B. Hutto,
Roscoe Mitchell,
Sun Ra, Reginald R. Robinson, Magic Sam, Sonny Stitt, Sunnyland Slim,
Sir Charles Thompson and Ken Vandermark.

February 25 Ida Cox: This classic blues singer was born on this
date in 1896. Hear her accompanied by Lovie Austin, Charlie Christian, Roy
Eldridge, Edmond Hall, J. C. Higginbotham, Coleman Hawkins, Tommy Ladnier
and Hot Lips Page.

March 3 Listen Before You Buy: Ron Sweetman reviews recent jazz issues
and reissues. Will include Alan Broadbent, Marty Ehrlich,
Andrew Hill, Dom Minasi, NOMA, Sam Rivers, Chris Tarry and Clark Terry.

March 10 Women In Jazz: An International Women s Day special on
some contemporary female jazz musicians. Listen for Carla Bley, Jane Ira
Bloom,
Jane Bunnett, Marilyn Crispell, Ingrid Jensen, Peggy Lee, Myra Melford,
Renee Rosnes and others.

March 17 Vocalists: An informal survey of contemporary vocalists
including Dorothy Berryman, Richard Bona, Angela Hagenbach, Abbey Lincoln,
Carmen Lundy, Dick Maloney, Manhattan Transfer and Karin Plato.

March 24 Pete Johnson: This great jazz/blues pianist was born
March 25, 1904, so let s celebrate his centennial!

March 31 Concept Albums: Concept albums by Bob Barnard,
Michael Garrick, Geoff Muldaur, Ralph Sutton and Chucho Valdes.

April 7 Listen Before You Buy: The cream of the crop of recent jazz
releases, including Dexter Gordon, Marty Grosz, Dave Holland, Bill King,
John McLaughlin, Phil Nimmons and Dave Occhipinti.

April 14 Bessie Smith: The Empress of the Blues was born April
15, 1894. We will play some of her greatest recordings, with accompanists
including Louis Armstrong, Fletcher Henderson, Don Redman and Clarence
Williams.

April 21 Dutch Treat: An update on the vibrant Dutch jazz scene,
with AROS, Ab Baars, Sean Bergin, Eric Boeren, Bik Bent Braam, Toby Delius,
the Henneman String Quartet, Wilbert DeJoode, Mary Oliver and Wolter Wierbos.

April 28 Langston Hughes: The first of two programs of musical
tributes to the great writer s poems. With Leonard Feather, Kenny Neal,
Taj Mahal, Big Miller, Charles Mingus, Val Gray Ward and Hughes himself.

Coming up later in 2004: Unique well-researched programs on Fontella Bass,
Boswell Sisters, Bill Coleman, Danish Jazz, Anders Gahnold, Norwegian Jazz,
Stuff Smith, Rene Thomas.

In A Mellow Tone is on CKCU every Wednesday from 9:00 to 11:00pm
at 93.1FM in Ottawa
and around the world on the Internet at
http://www.ckcufm.com/audio.html
RAS 12-30-03