[members-announce] JIC January 2004--Highlights from our last seven years

Paul Baker paulb at webitects.com
Sun Jan 18 09:00:07 EST 2004

JANUARY ON THE JAZZ INSTITUTE OF CHICAGO WEBSITE
A few highlights from our last seven years

Come to http://www.jazzinstituteofchicago.org
to read the stories below.
(If you don't see a link, type the above address into your browser.)

-----------------
News & Views
by Charles Walton

Jimmy Ellis
Taking a rest

-----------------
Letter from the Editor

"The is the last issue of the JIC website that I will be editing. Marj
Pries is also departing as managing editor. When we started, seven years
ago, the JIC Board felt that the web was not very important. This was
good in that it gave us a lot of editorial freedom. But it was also bad,
because it meant that we have received no financial support for
editorial staff, design, or to pay contributing writers and
photographers. . ."
-by Paul Baker

-----------------
The struggle for an integrated musician's union

This extensive behind-the-scenes story of the merger of Musicians Union
Local 208 with Local 10 includes interviews with many of the key
participants.
-by Charles Walton

Bronzeville conversations: The beginning

"The Jazz Institute website is being redesigned and redirected after
this issue, including a new editorial direction, and I feel I need to
reorganize my activities also. I will get back to asking questions
again. I am working on several articles on subjects I feel are of
interest. When the energy permits, I'll be back. I might even write a
book."
-by Charles Walton

-----------------
The Book of Jobbing

"For the edification of all jobbing musicians, we present chapters from
ancient Sumerian scrolls that have been methodically translated. Scroll
one contains 'The Wedding'; 'The Bar Mitzvah'; and 'Noah is Commanded to
Build a Jobbing Band' and from scroll two we present 'A Genealogy of the
House of Nebulon' and 'The First Job.'"
-by Steve Hashimoto

-----------------
Remembering Joe Daley

"Joe Daley was the quiet legend of Chicago jazz: a tenor sax master who
emerged as an early bebop revolutionary 30 years ago and just kept on
growing. He was one of those rare men whose total command of his horn
and his music permitted him to use his creative powers to their fullest,
unhampered by technical limitations."
-various authors

-----------------
Stories by pianist Bill Anschell

Bill Anschell is a musician, composer, arranger, producer, and author
who has worked with a wide variety of musicians. His short stories, from
a musician's perspective, include "The jazz jam session-A first-timer's
guide."

-----------------
Bob Brookmeyer speaks his mind, and other musicians respond

"There has been concern, in all of the mediums of artistic
expression-theater, opera, the symphony, the written word, the painted
picture-that 'the end may be in sight'-that we may have exhausted all
means of innovation and that the glass ain't half-full, it's plain
empty!"
-by Bob Brookmeyer, with comments from Forrest Buchtel, Marty Claussen,
Rich Corpolongo, Bill Crow, Jim Di Pasquale, Chuck Israels, Howard
Mandel, and Bud and Linda Shank.

-----------------
Stuart Nicholson's CLASSIC RECORDINGS Series

Stuart Nicholson is the author of five books on jazz and is the only
European jazz writer to have received two Notable Book of the Year
citations from The New York Times Review of Books. Over the past several
years he has contributed many detailed ruminations on classic modern
jazz recordings.

-----------------
The strange tale of Margo (Mrs. Jack) Teagarden

"My phone was ringing off of the hook. I finally answered it. The caller
said, 'Is this Jim Beebe?' 'Yes it is,' I replied. 'Is this Jim Beebe,
the bandleader?' I assured her that it was. 'Jim, I'm sorry to have to
tell you that your vocalist, Margo, has passed away. We found her in her
bed this morning.'"
-by Jim Beebe

-----------------
What happened to Sandy Mosse?

Some surprising readers responded to a JIC member's question about this
departed Chicago tenor player and we turned up information on a vintage
recording.
-various contributors

-----------------
Growing up musically in Chicago

"When I started playing drums in the early '40s, we were in transition
between swing and bebop. The 'new music' was drawing a lot of us into a
whole different way of playing, and thinking...,"
-Marty Claussen

-----------------
On Charlie Parker

"Charlie Parker in Bronzeville, Bird with strings, the Charlie Parker
memorial dedication in Kansas City and more."
-by Don Rose, Kenny Fredrickson, Charles Walton, Bob Bregman, and
others.

-----------------
Accompanying Ira Sullivan
and
My time with Al Haig

Author Kenny Fredrickson, is a Chicago pianist who worked with many of
the big names in jazz during the '50s and '60s. He returned to Chicago
in the late '90s after a long absence.

-----------------
Remembering Barrett Deems

A look back on the life of the "World's Fastest Drummer" including
reminiscences from fans and musicians, biographical material, references
and links to other sites.
-various authors

-----------------
Grandpa Bass

"My band had just started our regular Saturday night gig in Oakbrook. We
quickly settled into a nice groove on Duke Ellington's quirky tune,
'What am I here for.' A little blond bundle of joy darted out from a
side table and ran up the two steps to our bandstand. She ran to the
front, jumped off and raced up the two steps again and jumped off again.
Bassist John Bany was beaming..."
-by Jim Beebe

-----------------
My audition with Satchmo

"I got a phone call one morning at my pad in Brooklyn. A woman's voice
identified herself as an agent for Joe Glaser, the personal manager of
Louis Armstrong. She said that Satch was going to make a State
Department goodwill tour of the Far East and that Arvell Shaw, his
bassist, had decided not to travel with the band, reasons unknown. She
said Satch was holding auditions in a few days to line up a replacement
for Arvell and would I be interested in auditioning?"
-Joe Levinson

-----------------
Mingus' first recordings: Interview with Chuck Nessa

"After nearly 50 years Charles Mingus's first recordings as a bandleader
were unearthed in the single disc CD 'Charles 'Baron' Mingus, West
Coast, 1945-49'.... Robert Sunenblick and Chuck Nessa of Uptown Records
released all 26 of those early sides."
-by Lazaro Vega

-----------------
The Howard Reich Letters

Chicago Tribune jazz reviewer Howard Reich's Tribune reviews have been
the subject of many letters from our readers. Several years worth are
collected here.

-----------------
Jazz in Lithuania

"While the presence of jazz during Lithuania's first period of
independence (1918-1940) has been clearly documented...By 1945, the
Soviet-Russian occupiers and Stalin's strict dictatorship prevented any
resurgence whatsover of a jazz scene." This unsolicited article arrived
one day with an overview and history of a jazz scene that was a complete
surprise to us.
-by Bernd Jahnke

-----------------
The care and feeding of the 21st Century Review

"One fateful evening, a Minneapolis businessman buttonholed me and asked
if I had ever considered fronting a show outside of the Gold Star. I was
intrigued by the idea-the end of my tenure at the club was imminent-and
he offered to put up some capital. I told him I would start the process
on my end. I was 34-years-old and a veteran of countless other people's
bands. Now I had the opportunity to put together my own band-and show-on
a significant, but as yet ill-defined, scale. As the saying goes, "Be
careful what you wish for..."
-by Brad Williams

-----------------
Mel, Marty and the Dek-tette

"From the early fifties until his death in 1995, Marty Paich was one of
the top arrangers for jazz and pop singers. While Paich's talents also
encompassed instrumental jazz and orchestral film scores, he was
especially adept at creating settings that showcased the best qualities
of a featured vocalist."
-by Thomas Cunniffe

-----------------
>From Steve Voce

Interviews and obituaries, including Lester Bowie, Betty Carter, Buddy
DeFranco, Sweets Edison, Art Farmer, Frank Foster, Shorty Rogers and
Stan Getz, Benny Golson, Woody Herman, Milt Hinton, Milt Jackson , The
Stan Kenton Orchestra, Lou Levy, Marian McPartland, Chan Parker , Bill
Perkins, Michel Petrucciani, Nat Pierce, Tito Puente, Ross Russell,
Frank Sinatra, Clark Terry, George Van Epps, Ernie Wilkins, Britt
Woodman.

-----------------
The annual Jazz Fair returns Thursday through Saturday, January 22-24,
2004 at the Chicago Cultural Center.
More details on the website.

Come to http://www.jazzinstituteofchicago.org
to read these stories.
(If you don't see a link, type or copy the above address into your
browser.)

Paul Baker, Editor
paulb at webitects.com