[members-announce] YOU ARE INVITED SEPT 17th!

Kelly D. Leavitt kdl at lion.com
Fri Aug 19 15:13:15 EDT 2005

	YOU'RE INVITED!

	SUPER DUPER FREE PICNIC
	FOR TRAD JAZZ MUSICIANS

	AND THEIR GUESTS

	Saturday , September 17, 2005 - 11AM until ?

	At Fred's Farm in Andover, New Jersey R A I N o r S H I N E

	In the late 1960's the members of Smith Street Society Jazz Band
, along with their families and friends, held a yearly blast in a park
on Long Island (Smith Street's place of origin). "OKOM (Our Kind Of
Music) LLC" is a labor of love... a record label, a production company
and an Internet radio station (www.okom.com), all dedicated to
preserving and promoting our beloved music. Now we are launching a new,
expanded version of the picnic.

	This is not just another festival. This is a special party for
YOU, your loved ones and your friends.

	The OKOM Picnic for trad jazz performers will be held at Bill
and Patricia Taggart's 110 acre farm in beautiful Sussex County, New
Jersey. The festivities are held in a large barn where we are "safe"
from the weather. The farm is easily reached from Rt.15, off Rt. 80. For
directions either email your postal address to info at okom.com or phone
1-973-579-9424 and ask for "Laura.

	Following are some of the top notch bands and celebrities who
are coming to play and party this year:

	THE GALVANIZED JAZZ BAND

	Fred Vigorito (cornet) and the band, have been wowing them at
festivals and concerts around the country and at their steady gigs in
Connecticut. This band is hot and their repertoire is wonderful. Joel
Schiavone, banjo club czar (Your Father's Mustache) and loveable front
man will make one of his rare out of club appearances. Special guest on
trombone will be the spectacular Craig Grant. We expect to see the rest
of the gang too: Bill Sinclair (piano), Russ Whitman (reeds), Bob
Bequilard (drums), and of course, Art Hovey (tuba and bass).

	JOHN GILL'S JAZZ KINGS

	Back in the 1970's, John was with the Smith Street Society Jazz
Band on banjo and drums. He then went west and worked for ten years with
the Turk Murphy band. After that, John has led bands in San Francisco,
New Orleans and New York City. John also plays trombone and he sounds
just like Turk. Look for Jazz Kings: Brad Shigeta (trombone), and
Chicken Joe (tuba). The Jazz Kings play lots of material based on the
original Turk Murphy arrangements.

	CHUCK SLATE'S JAZZ BAND

	Chuck is one of the area's best known and most popular trad
musos. His band: Jimmy Andrews (piano), Dave Hainright (horn), Rocco
Patierno (bone), Mouse Miller (clarinet), Herb Baier (Acoustic Guitar),
Jonathon Steenstra (Bass Sax) and of course the king himself, Chuck
Slate, (on drums).

	SMITH STREET SOCIETY JAZZ BAND

	Bruce McNichols (banjo & soprano sax), Chicken Joe (tuba), Herb
Gardner (trombone & piano), Lynne McNichols (vocals), Fishman John Gill
(drums),

	SPECIAL GUESTS

	Trevor Rippingale (reeds). Leader of the New Wolverine Jazz
Orchestra of Sydney Australia.

	Michel Bastide (cornet). Leader of the Hot Antic Jazz Band of
Nimes, France.

	Bill Barnes (cornet). Leader of the Bix Beiderbecke Memorial
Jazz Band , Orlando, Florida.

	BANDLEADERS:

	Let us know if you'd like to bring your set band.

	NOTICE TO MUSICIANS:

	Bring your instruments.
	Bring your family and friends.
	Bring your own food and beverages
	If you think that you might attend, please let us know.
	mailto:info at okom.com

	HOPE YOU CAN JOIN US FOR THE FUN !

	Bruce McNichols
	info at okom.com