[members-announce] Berklee and Roxbury Community College

Bright Moments w/ Jon Hammond bmwjonhammond at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 1 10:25:43 EST 2005

Hello, JJA'ers-

Thought you might be interested in hearing about this
exciting collaboration involving our friends at
Berklee.

Jon

BERKLEE COLLEGE OF MUSIC AND ROXBURY COMMUNITY COLLEGE
PRESENT JAZZ
CONCERT AS START OF NEW COLLABORATION
Rising star on local scene, Roxbury’s Tuffus Zimbabwe,
kicks-off new
series, Feb. 4

BOSTON, Jan. 7, 2005 – Representatives from Berklee
College of Music
and Roxbury Community College announce a fresh live
music collaborative
that will put the sounds of Berklee into Roxbury
Community College’s
Mainstage Theater.  The series will debut on Friday,
February 4, in
honor of Black History Month with Roxbury’s own Tuffus
Zimbabwe Group.

Music begins at 8:00 p.m. and advance tickets are
$7.00 at the Berklee
Performance Center Box Office, 136 Mass. Ave, Boston;
and at the
Mainstage Theater Box Office in the RCC Media Arts
Building, 1234
Columbus Ave., Roxbury, where they will also be
available the night of
the show.  Visit www.rccmainstage.com or call 617-
541-5380 for more
information.  The college has free parking and is
directly across from
the Roxbury Crossing T stop on the orange line.  The
concert is
produced with promotional support from The ACT (Arts,
Culture & Trade)
Roxbury Consortium, www.actroxbury.org.

The Tuffus Zimbabwe Group plays a fusion of jazz,
classical, World, and
gospel music by the group’s leader, 22-year old
pianist Zimbabwe.  The
Berklee senior majoring in Music Business/Management
and Film Scoring
attends the college on a four-year, full-tuition
Berklee City Music
Continuing Scholarship, which is awarded to
outstanding and deserving
students from the Boston area.  Zimbabwe’s group
includes fellow
Berklee students Frank Abraham on bass, James Casey on
saxophone, and
drummer Lyndon Rochelle.

Zimbabwe cites influences such as the Yellow Jackets,
Abdullah Ibrahim,
Joe Sample, and Wayne Shorter.  He has performed in
front of hundreds
of people at a number of public concerts including the
Boston Public
Library’s Black History Month music series, the Jazz
in July concerts
throughout Downtown Crossing, on City Hall Plaza with
the Air Force
Jazz Band, and the 2003 Opening our Doors Day concert.
He also opened
for Andre Ward and jazz legend Lou Donaldson at the
Berklee Performance
Center in December.

Says Berklee’s Assistant Vice President for Community
and Governmental
Affairs J. Curtis Warner about the new partnership:
"Berklee continues
to remain true to our commitment of bringing quality
music programming
to neighbors in our own front yard: the Fenway,
Dorchester, Mattapan,
and Roxbury.  Beyond our partnership with seasonal
projects such as the
Bean Town Jazz Festival and the City's Park Arts
initiative, we can now
provide year-round community programming in this
unique collaboration
with Roxbury Community College.”

Roxbury Community College Director of Visual,
Performing, and Media
Arts Marshall Hughes has been planning with Warner for
years to make
high-quality music accessible to the community.  “With
the support of
our new presidents, RCC’s Terrence Gomes and Roger H.
Brown at Berklee,
we are finally able to kick-off this beautiful and
brilliant concert
series of exciting Berklee talent at RCC.”

~
Allen Bush
Director of Media Relations
Berklee College of Music