[members-announce] Portland Jazz Fest Report -- Jim Pepper Tribute / ALSO: Author's Query

Bill Siegel bmsiegel at adelphia.net
Tue Mar 8 12:54:59 EST 2005

Dear Fellow JJA Members,
Last month's Portland (OR) Jazz Festival kicked off with a two-day tribute to Native American jazz saxophonist and innovative composer, Jim Pepper. The tribute included panel discussions, a concert featuring former Pepper bandmates, and several educational sessions in the local community.  For a full report on the main tribute activities, please see the attached.

Also -- I am researching the work of Jim Pepper, with a particular focus on how his music continues to influence the development of the jazz form through a whole new generation of musicians (Pepper passed away in 1992).  If anyone out there has played with Jim Pepper, seen him perform, or otherwise knew him and has stories or insights to share, I would be very interested in hearing from you.

And please be sure to check out the Jim Pepper Lives! Web site -- www.zayde.net/jimpepperlives.html -- where I've collected many of the articles I;ve written about Pepper and his music, along with links to related Web sites.  I also welcome any suggestions for additions to this Web site.

Thanks!

Bill Siegel
Amherst NH
bmsiegel at adelphia.net