[members-announce] Must See Exhibition!--American Jazz Heroes in Berlin: Photographs by Uwe Rau

Farberfoto at aol.com Farberfoto at aol.com
Thu Sep 22 02:35:36 EDT 2005

Dear Colleagues,  Last week I was fortunate  enough to attend the opening of
this amazing exhibition of jazz photos by  the German photographer, Uwe Rau
(read below).  I am fairly jaded and not  always finding yet more black and
white jazz photos truly  compelling but trust me these are.  There are amazing
portraits on and  offstage (mostly on) of everyone you can think of that have
contributed  to the precious history of jazz.  I won't begin to name them but
trust  me, you will NOT want to miss this one!  And of course it's  free.  The
Goethe is pretty much across from The Metropolitan Museum.   Just thought I'd
share this treasure with you. Hope you make it.

American Jazz Heroes in Berlin: Photographs by Uwe  Rau

Exhibition
09/15/05-10/05/05
Opening: 09/14/05,  6:00-8:00 pm
Goethe-Institut New York
1014 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY  10028
Free Admission
Tel: 212-439-8700

The first Berlin Jazz Festival in 1964 helped to show  that in West Berlin,
cultural life was still alive and thriving even with the  presence of the
Berlin Wall. The Festival continued throughout the years and was  broadcast over
several regional networks enabling East Germans to get a taste of  jazz despite
strict regulations banning Western broadcasts.
Berlin-based photographer Uwe Rau began documenting the performers and
produced a collection of work dedicated to American jazz stars. These images
reflect the spirit of freedom during a time of hopelessness and despair in a  place
that seemed to be shut off from the rest of the world.

Enid  Farber Fotography
New York, NY 10036
212-459-8972
Publication:  Jazziz Magazine