[members-announce] APAP 2006 Special Sessions, Standout Showcases, Resource Room at Hilto n 1/21 to 1/24/06

Dan Kassell dankassell at juno.com
Sat Jan 21 07:14:00 EST 2006

APAP 2006 Special Sessions, Standout Showcases and Resource Room

By Dan Kassell

The 2006 Association of Arts Presenters (APAP) at New York’s Hilton Hotel resembles the International Association of Jazz Educators (IAJE) by presenting opportunities for meeting and networking with the movers and shakers who make art venues happen. This year APAP has several must attend Jazz related opportunities.

Sunday, January 22 10:30-noon: Future of Music Coalition host Jean Cook suggests that “Media Ownership Matters: Believe the Hype! How does low power radio work? What does the FCC do? Get an artist/presenter overview of how to make your voice heard.

>From the opening plenary address by Harry Belafonte the “Business of Presenting” unfolds for a full four days of non-stop showcases, Burning Issues, Video Showcases, A Resource Room (Exhibitor Hall) and a huge closing party.

Just a few recognizable standout Showcases:
Mark O’Connor’s Hot Swing
George Gee, Broadway, the Big Band Way!
LaVay Smith and Her Red Hot Skillet Lickers
Bleu Orleans
Swingsational
Davis and Drew, Great Jazz Duos
John Medeski, Solo Piano
Turtle Island Quartet
Hot Club of San Francisco
Jon Faddis w/Quartet
Maureen McGovern “One Enchanted Evening”
Benny Green, “The Art of the Solo”
Romero Lubambo/Luciana Sousa, “Brazilian Duos”

As this conference progresses I’ll be searching out the newest format Digital Versatile Discs (Enhanced DVD's) with added pristine digital picture and audio plus convenient chapter search functions in the hope of finding advanced technical deno material. Last year I reported in the Jazz Journalist Association's JAZZ NOTES that the Video Resource Room had little to demonstrate that the audio market recognized the need to upgrade.

Every industry professional should attend this years Conference to keep ahead of the rapid changes that are affecting Jazz and Live performance opportunities.

Go to:
www.artspresenters.org

Dan Kassell
1/20/06

The official press release reads as follows:

New York, NY – 4,000 performing arts professionals from around the world will assemble in New York for the Association of Performing Arts Presenters’ (Arts Presenters) 49th Annual Members Conference.  includes four days of workshops, panel discussions, a Resource Room with over 350 exhibitors, and more than 1,000 live performances in venues throughout the city.  The Members Conference – taking place January 20-24, 2006, at the Hilton New York is the largest event of its kind in the performing arts anywhere in the world.
The Arts Presenters Members Conference has always invited extraordinary individuals to speak opening plenary speaker will be Harry Belafonte, actor and activist; Award of Merit awarded to jazz legend Ornette Coleman.
The Conference theme – “Creative Change. Global Exchange” –
Conference Highlights
    * The Resource Room features 350+ exhibitors -artists, agencies, management groups and vendors transact the business of placing arts in venues round the world.
    * Awards Luncheon gives audiences a chance to meet the Members Conference’s guests of honor, Harry Belafonte, Sekou Sundiata and Ornette Coleman.
  * More than 1,000 Showcase Performances - free of charge to Conference delegates - everything from classical music to experimental theater and dance,
   * Networking and learning  through 40+ workshops, forums and seminars on topics
   * The Closing Night Party gives guests special access to the Joan Weill Center for Dance, the new home of the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, on Manhattan’s West side.
To register for the Arts Presenters 49th Annual Members Conference, please visit www.artspresenters.org/conference06/about/media.cfm.
With over 1,700 members worldwide, Arts Presenters is committed to increasing community participation, promoting global cultural exchange, and fostering an environment for the performing arts to thrive. www.artspresenters.org.
The Arts Presenters 49th Annual Members Conference is sponsored by: Berkshire Artists Group, The British Council, Clear Channel Entertainment, Columbia Artists Management, Inc., Doris Duke Charitable Foundation, ICM Artists, Ltd., ICM, Inc., IMG Artists, Kids' Entertainment, MetLife Foundation and SMG Artists.

end