[members-announce] This Dr. John Lineup Only at Tanglewood

Dawn Singh dawnsingh at aol.com
Fri Jul 21 12:18:26 EDT 2006

This Dr. John Lineup Is Only at Tanglewood

July 21, 2006

While it seems Dr. John has performed at almost every jazz festival on
the planet this year, no performance has been like his upcoming show at
the Tanglewood Jazz Festival.  In celebration of his new CD,
“Mercernary,” the music of Johnny Mercer, Dr. John will perform
material from the CD with Irma Thomas, Ann Hampton Callaway and John
Pizzarelli.

A special horn section for this show will include Jeremy Pelt, trumpet,
Howard Johnson, baritone saxophone, and Craig Handy, tenor saxophone.

Fred Taylor, Artistic Director of the Tanglewood Jazz Festival,
explains how the show came together:

“I ran into Ed Girard and Danny Kapilian at the APAP conference in New
York last January and they were talking about the new Dr. John album of
Johnny Mercer material.   We thought it would be interesting to put
something together for Tanglewood.  That’s how it all got started,”
says Taylor.

“We wanted to have special guests who could deliver the material
appropriately with Dr. John’s version, and create an all-star event
with a special horn section.  We ended up with the young, brilliant
Jeremy Pelt on trumpet, Craig Handy, a wonderful standards player on
tenor sax, and the legendary Howard Johnson on baritone sax.  We kept
gathering the pieces together, added Dr. John’s band and the
interaction with different singers and came up with a truly unique
show.”

Dr. John and Special Guests will be at the Tanglewood Jazz Festival
Saturday, September 2, at 8:00 pm following Wynton Marsalis.  Tickets
are $22-75 and may be purchased by calling SymphonyCharge at
888-266-1200 or online at www.tanglewoodjazzfestival.org.

For a complete lineup and ticket prices, visit the website at
www.tanglewoodjazzfestival.org.  Other headliners include Elvis
Costello, Marian McPartland, a rare U.S. performance by Dave Brubeck
and a 22-piece string symphonette for his Chamber Program, the Dizzy
Gillespie All Star Big Band led by Slyde Hampton, the Big Three
Palladium Orchestra, the Spanish Harlem Orchestra, the John Stetch
Trio, Rachael Price, the Warren Wolf Quartet, Taylor Eigsti and Julian
Lage, and Syncopation.

For more information, contact Dawn Singh at 617-395-7743 or
857-544-0739 or dawn at dawnsinghpublicity.com