[members-announce] ORACLE FLY BY REPLY...NICE TRY, NO DIE (kindly post Jerry)

KAPLANDISC at aol.com KAPLANDISC at aol.com
Wed Nov 29 20:13:56 EST 2006

                 ORACLE FLY BY REPLY...NICE TRY, NO DIE

Dateline: November 27,2006 ... Aptos, CA
Contact: Ronald Kaplan, American Songbook Preservation Society     Contact
Phone: (831) 687-0278 or (831)295-3672 cell
Contact Fax: (831) 685-2609
E-mail: info at GreatAmericanSongbook.org
Web Address: http://www.GreatAmericanSongbook.org

 APTOS, CA ­ November 27,2006 ­ The American Songbook
Preservation Society, a not-for-profit Foundation, flew a plane
with banner in tow around the corporate headquarters of Oracle in
a plea for a charitable donation from CEO Larry Ellison on
November 2, 2006, in Redwood Shores, CA. The monies would endow
the Foundation, in perpetuity, to fulfill it's mission: to
preserve our cultural treasure known as the Great American
Songbook, by presenting this music to the public at home and
abroad as Ambassadors of Song. The request comes as a result of a
2005 settlement requiring Ellison to dispense $100 million within
5 years to the charities of his choice.

According to Ronald Kaplan, founder and Executive Director, $25
Million Dollars will endow the Foundation in perpetuity and keep
this music in front of the American Public and the world for the
next 100 years and beyond. But on November 17, 2006, the
Foundation had received their reply from Oracle Corporation that
there would be no funds available as the $100 million has already
been designated.

"Had our 'out of the box' guerilla marketing attempt
succeeded, it would have endowed our non-profit foundation in
perpetuity. My intention is to find a suitor to underwrite our
Foundation and allow me to build an organization to keep this
music in front of the public for the next 100 years and beyond. I
had received a pledge of support from Wynton Marsalis early on
and at the advice of Nat Hentoff, who thought the organization
was a wonderful idea," said Kaplan.

Hentoff referred Kaplan to the Chairman of the National Endowment
of the Arts where, he discovered that the NEA no longer gives
endowments. Phoebe Jacobs of the Louis Armstrong Foundation, a
protégé and confidant of Duke Ellington and his family said the
concept of the GreatAmericanSongbook.org is very patriotic.

"We are looking for donors who believe in the this American
Cultural Legacy and want their name or business associated with
the Foundation in perpetuity as we fulfill our mission. The end
of the 2006 tax year is rapidly coming to a close. We are asking
that concerned individuals help us make this happen with their
support, and as the Bert Kalmar, Harry Ruby and Oscar Hammerstein II
song goes, 'Give Me A Kiss To Build A Dream On'".

For more information, contact:
American Songbook Preservation Society
Ronald Kaplan, Executive Director
9051-A Soquel Drive
Aptos, CA 95001
Phone: (831) 687-0278
E-mail: info at greatamericansongbook.org

Photos for this article are available at
http://www.greatamericansongbook.org/oracleFlyover.htm