[members-announce] Dr. Maya Angelou To Speak at Boston Opera House May 31

dawn singh dawn at dawnsinghpublicity.com
Fri Jan 12 16:47:47 EST 2007

Dawn Singh Publicity
286 Beacon Street #4, Boston, MA 02116
13 Perdiz Canyon Road, Placitas, NM 87043
505-771-0417  or 857-544-0739
dawn at dawnsinghpublicity.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                    January 10, 2007
CONTACT:    DAWN SINGH 857-544-0739

Dr. Maya Angelou To Speak at Boston Opera House May 31

The producers of Unique Lives & Experiences are pleased to present Dr.
Maya
Angelou at the Boston Opera House Thursday, May 31, 2007, at 7:30 pm.
Tickets
are $39.95, $49.95, $59.95, $69.95 and $79.95, and may be purchased by
calling
Ticketmaster at 617-931-2787 or online at www.ticketmaster.com. Tickets
for
groups of ten or more may be purchased at a 10% discount.

Dr. Angelou spoke to a sold-out audience at Symphony Hall on February
6, 2004, a
date proclaimed by Boston Mayor Thomas Menino as Maya Angelou Day.

Dr. Angelou is a world renowned poet, playwright, author, actor,
composer and
director, has won three Grammy Awards and has been nominated for a Tony
Award,
the Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Award.  Mentor to Oprah
Winfrey, Dr.
Angelou will share her inspirational message of hope, courage and
survival.
Hailed as one of the greatest speakers of our time, her words have been
a source
of inspiration, comfort, encouragement and strength for millions of
people
around the world.  Mayor Thomas Menino proclaimed February 6

Maya Angelou was born Marguerite Johnson in St. Louis, Missouri, on
April 4,
1928.  She grew up in St. Louis, Missouri and Stamps, Arkansas.  She is
an
author, poet, historian, songwriter, playwright, dancer, stage and
screen
producer, director, performer, singer and civil rights activist.  Dr.
Angelou is
best known for her autobiographical books:  All God’s Children Need
Traveling
Shoes (1986), The Heart of a Woman (1981), Singin’ and Swingin’ and
Gettin’
Merry Like Christmas (1976), Gather Together in My Name (1974), and I
Know Why
the Caged Bird Sings (1969), which was nominated for the National Book
Award.
Among her volumes of poetry are A Brave and Startling Truth (Random
House,
1995), The Complete Collected Poems of Maya Angelou (1994), Wouldn’t
Take
Nothing for My Journey Now (1993), Now Sheba Sings the Song (1987), I
Shall Not
Be Moved (1990), Shaker, Why Don’t You Sing? (1983), Oh Pray My Wings
Are Gonna
Fit Me Well (1975) and Just Give Me a Cool Drink of Water ‘fore I Die
(1971),
which was nominated for the Pulitzer Prize.

In 1959, at the request of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Maya Angelou
became the
northern coordinator for the Southern Christian Leadership Conference.
From
1961 to 1962 she was associate editor of The Arab Observer in Cairo,
Egypt, the
only English-language news weekly in the Middle East, and from 1964 to
1966 she
was feature editor of the African Review in Accra, Ghana.  She is
fluent in
English, French, Spanish, Italian, Arabic and West African Fanti.

Dr. Angelou returned to the US in 1974 and was appointed by Gerald Ford
to the
Bicentennial Commission and later by Jimmy Carter to the Commission for
International Woman of the Year.  She accepted a lifetime appointment
in 1981 as
Reynolds Professor of American Studies at Wake Forest University in
Winston-Salem, North Carolina.  In 1993, Dr. Angelou became only the
second poet
in American history to recite her work at the inauguration of an
American
president when, in 1993 at the request of Bill Clinton, she read On the
Pulse of
the Morning.

The first black woman director in Hollywood, Dr. Angelou has written,
produced,
directed and starred in productions for stage, film and television.  In
1971 she
wrote the original screenplay and musical score for the film, George,
Georgia,
and was both author and executive producer of a five-part television
miniseries,
Three Way Choice.  She has also written and produced several
prize-winning
documentaries including “Afro-Americans in the Arts,” a PBS special for
which
she received the Golden Eagle Award.  Maya Angelou was nominated for a
Tony
award for acting in her Broadway debut in Look Away (1973) and for an
Emmy for
best supporting actress for her performance in Alex Haley’s Roots
(1977).

Dr. Angelou has received dozens of honorary degrees from universities
around the
world.  A mesmerizing vision of grace, swaying and stirring when she
moves, she
captivates her audience lyrically with vigor, fire and perception.  She
has the
unique ability to shatter the opaque prisms of race and class between
reader and
subject throughout her books of poetry and her autobiographies.

For more information, contact Dawn Singh at 505-771-0417 or
857-544-0739 or
dawn at dawnsinghpublicity.com.