[members-announce] Latest Independent Ear

Willard Jenkins muzikmuse at comcast.net
Fri Aug 8 14:15:32 EDT 2008

The Independent Ear returns with summertime blogs on more good news from the
Crescent City and insights from a promising young musician with a lot of
productive business on his mind.  Go to www.openskyjazz.com
<http://www.openskyjazz.com/>  and check it out:

1)      Our ongoing New Orleans Diary returns with installment #12, a
roundup of several summer jazz happenings in the city:

*        The Dillard University jazz interview series continues;

*        Satchmo Summerfest takes the French Quarter;

*        Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong Summer Jazz Camp;

*        Despite recent health challenges, alto sax warrior Wessel
"Warmdaddy" Anderson showed up at Snug Harbor in superb form;

and a lovely tribute to legendary saxophonist-composer-arranger-record
man-educator Harold Battiste.

2)    Remember such past artist collective record labels as Debut, Strata
East and JCOA?  Young drummer Kendrick Scott has digitized that tradition,
taking the figurative bull by the horns and launching his own World Culture
Music label to cooperatively record not only his own music but new music by
his peers as well.  Check out the latest entry in our ongoing artist
interview series.

.As usual, your comments and responses are welcome.

Peace,

Willard Jenkins

www.openskyjazz.com <http://www.openskyjazz.com/>

Home of The Independent Ear