[members-announce] June Independent Ear

Willard Jenkins muzikmuse at comcast.net
Fri Jun 12 14:05:36 EDT 2009

Fresh new June entries in The Independent Ear webzine at www.openskyjazz.com
<http://www.openskyjazz.com/> ...

*	Part 2 of our ongoing series Ain't but a few of us - Black jazz
writers telling their story; this time with a revealing contribution from
John Murph.

*	The Sampling Game: Bonding the Generations; hip hop producer
Jonathan Kaslow reverses the sampling equation with his newly released
compilation Stax: The Soul of Hip Hop; check his insights on the often
obscure source material central to the hip hop game.

*	A letter-from-South Africa; our conversation with
saxophonist-composer Salim Washington on his current residency in the
Kwa-Zulu Natal region of beautiful South Africa and how it compares to
another recent residency he undertook in Bahia, Brazil.

*	The Tip: to label or not to label - advice on why self-producing DIY
jazz artists really need to label their product properly.

Please visit The Independent Ear at www.openskyjazz.com
<http://www.openskyjazz.com/>  and as usual your comments are welcomed and
encouraged.

Peace,