[members-announce] Lost Jazz Shrines Returns

Willard Jenkins muzikmuse at comcast.net
Tue May 4 18:40:06 EDT 2010

FYI, mark your calendars -- this is my annual spring concert series at TPAC in NYC.  Press accommodations available; please contact Eli Abdallah at TPAC.  Don't sleep!
Peace,
Willard Jenkins
Artistic Director, Jazz
Tribeca Performing Arts Center

> Sent by: BMCC Tribeca Performing Arts Center
> Reply to the sender
>
> Lost Jazz Shrines
>
> Part 1 - Celebrating Ali's Alley
>

> Featuring
>
> Azar Lawrence Sextet
>
> Friday, May 7 , 2010
>
> 7PM Panel Discussion with Patricia Ali & Azar Lawrence, moderated by Willard Jenkins, FREE
>
> 8:30PM Concert: $25 / students, seniors $15 TICKETS or call (212) 220 - 1460.
>
> When saxophonist Azar Lawrence first burst on to the jazz scene in the '70s he was hailed by many as the second coming of John Coltrane. "Azar Lawrence burns like a bright, hot flame at the altar of his muse. Given the ever-present fire danger in the Southland, a fire truck should remain on call when Lawrence blows. " raves AllAboutJazz
>
> Band
>
> Azar Lawrence - tenor & soprano sax
> Eddie Henderson - trumpet
> Gerald Hayes - alto sax
> Benitio Gonzalez - piano
> Essiet Essiet - bass
> Ronnie Burrage - drums
>
> Ali's Alley - (1973-79) Drummer Rashied Ali from the John Coltrane group opened this space on Greene Street in Soho first as Studio 77 before converting it to a bar, restaurant and club renamed Ali’s Alley. Ali’s Alley was noted mainly for free jazz performances where avant garde bands from Europe and Japan were often featured.
>
> Part 2 - Celebrating Studio Rivbea
>

> Featuring
>
> Sam Rivers & His Band
>
> Friday, May 14
>
> 7PM Lecture: One-on-One with Sam Rivers & Willard Jenkins, FREE
>
> 8:30PM Concert: $25 / students, seniors $15 TICKETS or call (212) 220 - 1460.
>
> Multi-instrumentalist Sam Rivers has sparked sessions by Miles Davis and Tony Williams, and he fostered New York's Loft Jazz scene of the 1970s. Few, if any, free jazz saxophonists have approached music with the same degree of intellectual rigor as Sam Rivers; just as few have managed to maintain a high level of creativity over a long life.
>
> Studio Rivbea - (1969-1978) Multi-instrumentalist/composer Sam Rivers and his wife Beatrice ("Riv" - for Rivers and "bea" for Beatrice = Rivbea) opened this loft space on 24 Bond Street. The loft was important in the development of jazz because it exemplified artist creation of performance space and its freedom from concerns posed by nightclub or concert hall settings. For rising artists, Studio Rivbea was their introduction to performance opportunities in NYC.
>
> Part 3 - Celebrating Jazz Cultural Theatre
>
> Featuring
>
> NEA Jazz Master
> Barry Harris & His Band
>
> 7PM Screening of Barry Harris short film, produced by filmmaker Brian Grady.
> Discussion with Barry Harris and Brian Grady. Moderated by Willard Jenkins. FREE
>
> 8:30PM Concert: $25 / students, seniors $15 TICKETS or call (212) 220 - 1460.
>
> Band

> [...]

Willard Jenkins
www.openskyjazz.com
Home of the Independent Ear