|Jazz Journalists Association|
Eighth Annual Jazz Awards
W i n n e r s ! Jazz Journalists Association
Eighth Annual Jazz Awards
W i n n e r s !
Nominated finalists for the Jazz Journalists Awards 2004 are listed below in alphabetical order by first names. These finalists represent pluralities of votes awarded to nominees by members of the Jazz Journalists Association. Ties in nomination voting produced four or six nominees in some categories. There will only be one winner of the Award in each category.
Full members of the JJA voted for one finalist in each category. Deadline for voting was 6 p.m., May 12, 2004.
- Lifetime Achievement in Jazz (past winners: Benny Carter, Max Roach, Sonny Rollins, Ornette Coleman, John Lewis, Clark Terry, Cecil Taylor)
Dave Brubeck - Winner!
- Musician of the Year (achievement in sound recordings, live concert performances and overall presence, April 15, 2003-March 20, 2004)
Wayne Shorter - Winner!
- Up & Coming Musician of the Year
Vijay Iyer - Winner!
- Jazz Album of the Year (Issued April 15, 2003 - March 20, 2004)
Andrew Hill, Passing Ships (Blue Note)
Branford Marsalis, Romare Bearden Revealed (Marsalis Music)
Dave Holland, Extended Play (ECM)
Jason Moran, The Bandwagon (Blue Note)
Wayne Shorter, Alegria (Verve) - Winner!
- Jazz Reissue of the Year, single CD
Duke Ellington, Ellington Uptown (Columbia Legacy)
Duke Ellington, Festival Session (Columbia Legacy)
Rod Levitt, The Dynamic Sound Patterns Of The Rod Levitt Orchestra
Sam Rivers, Fusia Swing Song (Blue Note) - Winner!
- Jazz Reissue of the Year, boxed set
Complete Roy Eldridge Studio Recordings on Verve (Mosaic)
Count Basie, America's #1 Band (Columbia Legacy)
Dexter Gordon, The Complete Trio & Quartet Studio Recordings (Steeplechase)
Miles Davis, In Person Friday & Saturday Nights At The Blackhawk [original recording remastered] (Columbia Legacy)
Miles Davis, The Complete Jack Johnson Sessions (Columbia Legacy) - Winner!
- Jazz Record Label of the Year
Blue Note - Winner!
- Jazz Events Producer of the Year
Andre Menard (Festival International de Jazz de Montreal)
George Wein (Festival Productions) - Winner!
Randall Kline (SFJazz)
Tim Jackson (Monterey Jazz Festival)
Todd Barkan (Jazz@Lincoln Center)
- Jazz Composer of the Year
Maria Schneider - Winner!
- Jazz Arranger of the Year
Maria Schneider - Winner!
- Male Jazz Singer of the Year
Andy Bey - Winner!
- Female Jazz Singer of the Year
Cassandra Wilson - Winner!
Dee Dee Bridgewater
- Latin Jazz Album of the Year
Bebo Valdes & Diego El Cigala, Lagrimas Negras (BMG)
Chris Washburne & The Syotos Band, Paradise in Trouble (Jazzheads)
Chucho Valdes, New Conceptions (Blue Note) - Winner!
Eddie Palmieri, Ritmo Caliente (Concord Picante)
Poncho Sanchez, Out of Sight! (Concord Picante)
- Small Ensemble Group of the Year (octet or smaller)
Branford Marsalis Quartet
Dave Douglas Quintet
Dave Holland Quintet
Wayne Shorter Quartet - Winner!
- Large Ensemble of the Year (nonet or larger, including big bands, jazz orchestras, contemporary symphonies, et. al.)
Carla Bley Big Band
Dave Holland Big Band - Winner!
Gerald Wilson Orchestra
Joe Lovano Nonet
Maria Schneider Orchestra
Mingus Big Band
- Trumpeter of the Year
Dave Douglas - Winner!
- Trombonist of the Year
Roswell Rudd - Winner!
- Miscellaneous Instrumentalist of the Year
Bela Fleck, banjo
James Carter, bass saxophone
Steve Turre, shells
Toots Thielemans, harmonica - Winner!
- Alto Saxophonist of the Year
Lee Konitz - Winner!
- Tenor Saxophonist of the Year
Chris Potter - Winner!
- Soprano Saxophonist of the Year
Jane Ira Bloom
Steve Lacy - Winner!
- Baritone Saxophonist of the Year
Gary Smulyan - Winner!
- Clarinetist of the Year
Paquito D'Rivera - Winner!
- Flutist of the Year
Frank Wess - Winner!
- Pianist of the Year
Hank Jones - Winner!
- Organ-keyboards of the Year
Dr. Lonnie Smith - Winner!
- Guitarist of the Year
Bill Frisell - Winner!
- Acoustic Bassist of the Year
Dave Holland - Winner!
- Electric Bassist of the Year
Steve Swallow - Winner!
- Strings Player of the Year (violin, cello, kora, harp, etc.)
Regina Carter - Winner!
- Mallets Player of the Year (vibes, marimba, etc.)
Stefon Harris - Winner!
- Percussionist of the Year
Ray Barretto - Winner!
- Drummer of the Year
Jeff "Tain" Watts
Roy Haynes - Winner!
Jazz Journalism Categories
- Jazz Journalism Lifetime Achievement Award (past winners: Whitney Balliett, Stanley Dance, Nat Hentoff, Dan Morgenstern, Ira Gitler, Gary Giddins)
Gene Lees - Winner!
- Excellence in Jazz Broadcasting/the Willis Conover-Marian McPartland Award (This has been turned into a one-time-only award, and your three nominees should come from *different* stations, according to the ballot committee. Past winners, thus ineligible, are: Neil Tesser, Marian McPartland, Dr. Billy Taylor, Phil Schaap, Michael Bourne, Kenny Washington, Alyn Shipton)
Bob Parlocha (WFMT/Jazz Satellite Network)
Leigh Kamman (Minnesota Public Radio)
Linda Yohn (WEMU-FM)
Rhonda Hamilton (WBGO-FM)
Steve Schwartz (WGBH-FM, Boston) - Winner!
- Excellence in Photography/the Lona Foote-Bob Parent Award (This has become, de facto, a one-time-only-award, recognizing sustained excellence rather than excellence over the preceeding year. Past winners: William Claxton, William Gottlieb, Herman Leonard, Chuck Stewart, Enid Farber, Ken Franckling)
Lee Tanner - Winner!
- Excellence in Newspaper, Magazine or Online Feature or Review Writing/the Helen Dance-Robert Palmer Award
Ben Ratliff (The New York Times)
Bill Milkowski (JazzTimes, etc.) - Winner!
Francis Davis (The Atlantic, etc.)
Kevin Whitehead (Chicago Sun Times, Down Beat)
Mark Miller (Globe & Mail, Toronto)
- Best Periodical Covering Jazz
Jazz Times - Winner!
Signal to Noise
- Best Website Concentrating on Jazz
www.AllAboutJazz.com - Winner!
- Best Book About Jazz
Blue Note Records: The Biography, Richard Cook (Pimlico)
Cubano Be, Cubano Bop - One Hundred Years Of Jazz In Cuba, Leonard Acosta (Smithsonian Institution Press)
I Put A Spell On You: The Autobiography of Nina Simone, Nina Simone with Steven Cleary (Da Capo)
Jazz and Its Discontents, Francis Davis (Da Capo)
Myself Among Others, George Wein with Nate Chinen (Da Capo) - Winner!
- Best Photo of the Year (View Entries)
C. Andrew Hovan
Howard A. Gitelson
John Abbott - Winner!
John R. Fowler
R. Andrew Lepley
The Jazz Journalists Association "A" Team Award for Advocates, Altruists, Aiders and Abettors 2004
- Arthur H. Barnes
- R. Jarrett Lilien
- Sandy Jackson
- Bethany Bultman
- Rudy Van Gelder
- Les Paul
- Horace Silver
- Chuck Niles
- LaRue Brown Watson
- Dr. Margaret Ray
- Dr. Paul Martin