2004 JJA Jazz Awards
2004 JJA Jazz AwardsSM
Dick Gregory, comedic and yet
serious social activist, was guest host at the Jazz Awards at B.B. King's in
This year's JJA Jazz Awards celebration was a cocktail-and-supper
party with musical entertainment on Tuesday, June 15 at B.B. King's Blues Club and Grill, 237
W. 42nd St. in New York City from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m..
there are photos and sound samples of many nominees, plus news of
celebrity guest hosts and musical performances at the Awards.
A Team Award winners at B.B. King's are:
- Les Paul, guitarist, inventor, and recording innovator;
- recording engineer Rudy Van Gelder, celebrating his 50 years of work with
Blue Note Records.
- Arthur Barnes, senior vice-president for external affairs, HIP Health Plan of
New York, for his work with the Jazz Foundation of America, the New School
Jazz Program, and the Arts Education Program of the Clara Barton High School for
- Bethany Bultman, outreach chair of the New Orleans Musicians Clinic;
- R. Jarett Lilien, CEO of E-TRADE.com
for his work with the Jazz Foundation of America to establish a residence
for jazz musicians in need;
- Sandy Jackson (widow of Milt Jackson), for her work with Veritas Therapeutic
Community Foundation Inc.'s Friends of Charlie Parker benefit for drug
Music confirmed for the Jazz Awards celebration at B.B. King's —
- The Renee Cruz New School Jazz Band
- Judy "Blackbird" Bady Quartet
- Dewey Redman Quartet
- Doug Wamble, solo guitar
|Mr. Gerald Wilson presenting an award to
Mr. Horace Silver. Photo © by Skip Bolen. More photos.|
The JJA Jazz Awards West Coast Party, also a cocktail and supper
event with music, was held Monday, June 21 from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.
at the Jazz Bakery, Los Angeles.
A Team Award winners at the West Coast Party are:
- Horace Silver (receiving his award from Gerald Wilson) for his establishment
of scholarships for gifted piano students;
- Chuck Niles (posthumously; his award will be received by his daughter,
Stacy), in recognition of his career as jazz radio voice of the Los Angeles Area;
- LaRue Brown Watson (widow of Clifford Brown), for her 30 years of volunteer
work in jazz education;
- Dr. Paul Martin and Dr. Margaret Ray, who treated the late Billy Higgins for
Music Confirmed at the JJA Jazz Awards West Coast Party —
- Bennie Maupin Ensemble
- Vinnie Golia Band
- Roberto Miranda, Nate Morgan, and Dwight Tribble
Among this year's sponsors of the Jazz Awards are: BETJazz; Blue Note Records; E-TRADE.com; HEI-Arts International; HIP Health
Plan of New York; Hot House
magazine; Iridium Jazz Club;
WBGO-FM Jazz 88.